jcbfly

How to change the die on a seal press?

I was gifted with an old paragear type seal press and I want to change the symbol. How do you remove the old die? It looks like it's held in place with a set screw, which I removed, but the die still seems quite securely attached.

I was gifted with an old paragear type seal press and I want to change the symbol. How do you remove the old die? It looks like it's held in place with a set screw, which I removed, but the die still seems quite securely attached.

The set screw is all that's holding my symbols. I think they're probably just stuck at this point & need to be broken free... unless the previous owner got tired of the loose-fitting symbols & super glued them in place.

After removing the set screw, grab the die around it's circumference with a pair of pliers and rotate it back and forth maybe 1/4 turn in each direction both clockwise and counter-clockwise. The use of an adhesive, as mentioned above, may be unlikely. But if it still won't budge, a little heat from a heat gun may soften the adhesive and/or expand the parts for easier removal. Don't burn yourself or overheat the tool.

edited to add: Or use a pin punch and hammer to carefully drive out the die by tapping on its stem. Depending on which half of the die set you're removing, you might have to disassemble the press tool.

When installing your new die, you may need to pollish the die's stem with fine emory cloth and/or clean the tool's corresponding socket for a nice fit in case it needs to be removed later.