Forsaken

Mirage G4 with Velocity 120 Sizing error

Mirage lists the Velocity 120 as an optimum fit for the M0 container.

http://www.miragesys.com/sizing-guide/

Having purchased this combination I can tell you that the Velo 120 is a LOOSE fit in the M0. I showed the setup to the PD rep a couple weeks ago and he agreed that the fit was very loose. I have also informed Mirage of the error but they haven't changed the sizing guide so maybe they think I'm up in the air. Anyway, be wary when you're going to drop that kind of cash on a new rig...they might not know what they think they know.

Their customer service rep says that several factors will affect the fit...humidity, packing skill, etc. and I am in a dry area but I find it hard to believe this would be a good fit under any circumstances. Otherwise the container is exactly what I wanted and Mirage's delivery time is stellar.

~ Cliff

In case you're wondering, I also got the PD Optimum 126 reserve which is listed as an optimum fit for the M0 and it is.

Their customer service rep says that several factors will affect the fit...humidity, packing skill, etc.

That's the cookie cutter excuse for when a container is too tight, and in some cases it's valid.

Seeing as your container is loose, are they suggesting that you're too good at packing? Maybe if you really botch the pack job, and make it look like a football, your container will close up better?

If you're in a dry area, take it down to Florida, and see if the Mirage guys can screw up the pack job down there in the tropics to make it fit right.

If you're in a dry area, take it down to Florida, and see if the Mirage guys can screw up the pack job down there in the tropics to make it fit right.

No kidding. Here's my thing...no matter how good a packer you are...and I don't consider myself any better than average...once the pin is in, I shouldn't be able to squeeze the bottom of the container with my hands to the point where the fabric wrinkles. C'mon people.

~ Cliff

The optimum 126 is listed as soft for the M0. The pd standard reserve 126 is listed as optimum.

I'm no rigger but if the reserve is packed 'soft' maybe the main will fit a little bit looser??? Just a thought...I have no idea if I make any sense or not :)

The optimum 126 is listed as soft for the M0.

Hmmm....so it does. Well, I'll tell you what. The 126 Optimum fits in there nicely. Good firm fit all the way around. I can't see how it would be causing the softness in the packed main at all. Maybe I'll make a little video and post it.

The optimum 126 is listed as soft for the M0.

Hmmm....so it does. Well, I'll tell you what. The 126 Optimum fits in there nicely. Good firm fit all the way around. I can't see how it would be causing the softness in the packed main at all. Maybe I'll make a little video and post it.

Having more bulk in the reserve tray would cause the reserve to push a bit into the main tray, causing a slightly tighter main fit. No way to tell how much without tying it. This effect can be recreated a little if your rigger makes an effort to leave very little fabric in the ears of the reserve, and a lot of fabric in the S-folds.

You've seen my Javelin TJN which is tight with a VX109... it's opposite of your situation... it's tight with the canopies I have installed. In order to fit my main into the main tray, I have to put lots of reserve fabric in the ears and as little as possible in the S-folds.

Chris