Shotgun

basic chemistry question: dissociation vs. dissolving?

Can anyone explain to me the difference between dissociation and dissolution? They seem the same to me, so I guess I'm missing something...

Or if anyone can point me to a good chemistry discussion board, that would be appreciated too. (I tried searching but didn't find any that seemed very good.)

Try www.physicsforums.com for a good chem forum (page down and you'll find it.)

Ionic compounds are strong electrolytes, they dissociate in water, ie, NaCl will actually break up into Na+ and Cl- in solution, then the polar water molecules will surround the ions so so that they do not recombine. If you dissolve methanol (combine methanol and water, methanol being a molecular compound), the methanol will not visibly seperate from the water, instead the actual structural integrity of the molecule is not lost, ie, no ions are formed. The mixture will contain methanol and water, with the methanol molecules (as whole molecules) distributed evenly throughout the water. Whereas with the HCl in water you have ions of H+ and Cl- floating around in the water, no actual molecules of HCL will remain (assuming you are below saturation.)

HTH, but i'm not sure it was the best explanation. If you still don't understand, try the physicsforum.com for more help.

Angela.

*fixed web addy, sorry.

H2O breaks down into its components of Hydrogen and Oxogen but equalizes to where there are an equal number of individual atoms of each component as well as combined molecules (water).
This is Dissociation

Now imagine Al3+ in liquid state. Add NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) slowly. Al(OH)3 forms and parcipitates (becomes noticable as a new compound) out of solution. This is also called Dissoluion.

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

H2O breaks down into its components of Hydrogen and Oxogen but equalizes to where there are an equal number of individual atoms of each component as well as combined molecules (water).
This is Dissociation

Now imagine Al3+ in liquid state. Add NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) slowly. Al(OH)3 forms and parcipitates (becomes noticable as a new compound) out of solution. This is also called Dissoluion.

What he said!B|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I thought she was referring more to things which dissolve in water, and because it was basic chem I figured it was Electrolytic dissociation she was refering to?

(some info here: http://reference.allrefer.com/encyclopedia/D/dissocia.html)

Of course, I may be wrong. Your answer is correct, too. Edit to add that this must be why I don't tutor, I don't even understand the question B|:(

Good explanation, btw. I'll let you know if I need your help in Organic, the lab is killer (for me).

-A

Your explanation is more along the lines of what I was looking for at the moment, but thanks to you both! Much appreciated. :))

And thanks for the link... That's just the sort of forum I was trying to find (so that I won't be asking chemistry questions on a skydiving website!) ;)

Why is it that you haven't posted about your greatest day at Square One and the hottest guy you've ever worked with? Even if he was a little sick.................................

Well I didn't want to make all the other ladies jealous. ;)

But, if you'd like, I could start a thread about how you were drooling all day while looking at what's-her-name's nipples in the chilly packing area. :P