Renegate

offer your opinion on the following sale situation

Pilot 168 for sale, DOM '05, 100 jumps, polyester lines.
Seller wants a rigger inspection. Rigger finds that stabilizer D lines are worn due to the nature of line material and tightly set stabilizers, and should be replaced before jumping. Rigger also recommends that, instead of replacing the worn D lines every 100 jumps, the whole canopy is relined with spectra lines. Seller offers to pay for replacing bad D lines (~$70). The buyer wants the seller to discount the cost of relining the canopy ($400) of the agreed price.
Who do you feel is being reasonable here? Would you agree that a canopy with 100 jumps and a brand new line set is practically a brand new canopy?
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

Pilot 168 for sale, DOM '05, 100 jumps, polyester lines.
Seller wants a rigger inspection. Rigger finds that stabilizer D lines are worn due to the nature of line material and tightly set stabilizers, and should be replaced before jumping. Rigger also recommends that, instead of replacing the worn D lines every 100 jumps, the whole canopy is relined with spectra lines. Seller offers to pay for replacing bad D lines (~$70). The buyer wants the seller to discount the cost of relining the canopy ($400) of the agreed price.
Who do you feel is being reasonable here? Would you agree that a canopy with 100 jumps and a brand new line set is practically a brand new canopy?

I think the buyer should opt for a PD canopy which only costs $295 every 500-600 jumps for a reline (and inspection) instead of $680-$750 for a reline at the same interval plus D-line replacement every 100 jumps. I've ignored steering line replacement which should be the same for both canopies.

Otherwise, I think the seller should reduce the price so that the cost per jump is comparable to what the buyer would experience with a competitor's product. $280 off the usual depreciation to account for the radically increased maintenance until the canopy is relined wouldn't be out of line. Plus some for the hassle.

instead of $680-$750 for a reline at the same interval plus D-line replacement every 100 jumps.

Where did you get those figures -- I have never paid over 350.00 for a rush return vectran reline

what is the price of the pilot for sale? if its really cheap there is a reason why -- if he wants top dollar find another one

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Why don't you just call Aerodyne and get their opinion? Everytime I had to deal with them so far their customer service was outstanding. Tell them about the canopy and the dacron lines. Since when do dacron D lines only last 100 jumps? Stabilizers set too tight is no good and the fault of whoever relined the canopy last. Some of my older customers are actually moving back to dacron on their canopies because they can really take the bite out of a hard opening. I have seen dacron line kits with more than 1000 jumps on them that are just fine. If you have excessive wear on your D lines changing line material won't change your wear points. In fact going to a micro line from a standard dacron line will probably accelerate wear if nothing else. Were the slider grommets inspected? Are there slider bumpers installed on the links? Do you have a picture of the worn lines?

Hey Sergei, I don't get it... YOU are the seller? And where did you get the canopy relined that quickly? Seriously the pics you have in your ad are spectra lines! So now I am just wondering what the problem is and why you are posting here? If the canopy only has 100 jumps on it then it's a factory line set and if the D lines are set too tight that would be a warranty issue due to incorrect assembly. From what I can see in the in-flight pictures the stabilizers look okay to me.

Why don't you share the REAL facts now to get some real help buddy!

The lines are not dacron nor spectra, they are polyester, which was a standard line used by Aerodyne (apparently) some time in the past. Polyester wears out faster. My question is whether it is reasonable for the buyer to ask the seller to reduce the price by 400 to pay for a brand new Spectra line set.
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

darcon is the brand name for polyester, spectra is the brand name for ultra high molecular weight polyethylene... there are some nylon lines and 550 cord the military uses on rounds. the lines that are shown in the picture of the ad are spectra lines. what year is the canopy manufactured in?

Aerodyne lists new line sets for $210. $190 for installing it is unreasonable IMHO.

Need of relining after only 100 jumps is waaaaaay out of whack.

Seller paying for new D lines is reasonable. Buyer wanting a discount for a complete new line set is not.

I question the rigger's recommendations until we know what he did to come up with those ideas. Visual inspection? Actual measurements? Why replace anything every 100 jumps...fix the cause of the problem!

Bottom line:
1. Different rigger.
2. Different buyer.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239