Nightingale

Life is conspiring to keep me on the ground!

My last jump was in January! During the late winter and early spring, we had really shitty weather. Lots of rain and low clouds. Of course, the weekends that were clear, I was stuck doing something else that had to get done.

Now, I've got a pretty badly sprained ankle (slipped on a stairway when I stepped on a bunch of wet leaves during the rain). I was silly and walked on it for two weeks before going to the doctor (but I was good... resting, icing, ace-wrapping, and elevating, everything you're supposed to do). So, after two weeks when it still hurt, I went to the doc and she (after yelling at me for not coming in sooner) told me to put an air cast on it. So, I've been wearing an air cast for about three weeks, and the damn thing still hurts.

I managed to get 40 minutes in the tunnel over the last 2 months, so I'm keeping up my freefall skills, but I miss skydiving! The doc estimates that the earliest she wants me trying to land on the ankle is June 1.

sigh.

If it makes ya feel any better, I'm really bad about obeying doctor's orders... I'm a college soccer player, and really badly sprained one my thumbs making a save. Trainer said I'd need time off, I said "nah, I'll be good". Did it again a few days later. And again a few weeks after that. Season's been over since November, and it still hurts sometimes :S
cavete terrae.

That sucks, Kris. Did your doc say anything about jumping, but with the aircast for support? That's what I'm doing right now, but even then if a landing is looking questionable I just PLF, which is what I did for one of my landings yesterday.

Off topic... have you been able to work on my air bear at all, or have you been too busy?
~skysprite

When you get back in the air, just remember that there may be an unconcious effort to favor the injured ankle. That means you may be more likely to injure the other one!

Wait until there are steady winds for your first couple of jumps, and be ready for the PLF. Better to get the rig dirty than to get jurt again.

Blue Skies from someone who's been there a few times.

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I feel your pain!
I recently broke both feet and my sacrum and coccyx. I was told I had to wait 3-6 months before jumping again.
I have not jumped since Feb 10th, but 3 months is up on May 10th!!!!

PS. Work on strengthening exercises for your ankle
"Life is not measured by your number of breaths, but by the moments that take your breath away."