Hoosierguy

Chutes in Cold/Rainy Weather

Hi. I've not jumped yet and I hope to make my first jump in the spring. I just finished a skydiving book - Jump.

Here are a few questions -

Do chutes open up in the cold weather like they do in warm weather? What about light rain or heavy rain? What about snow? Does it even snow where you jump?

Also, I know reserve chutes must be repacked after so many days. Do chutes ever become "stale" like bread does over time? If you packed your reserve six months ago, and you are sure you packed it right, would you feel comfortable jumping with it today?

Thanks!

Do chutes open up in the cold weather like they do in warm weather?

Yeah

What about light rain or heavy rain? What about snow? Does it even snow where you jump?

Jumping in any preticipation isn't fun, think hitting rain/hail/snow/ice at 120mhp. Ouch. We tend to avoid that! However the canopy will open fine don't worry.

If you packed your reserve six months ago, and you are sure you packed it right, would you feel comfortable jumping with it today?

In most countries the repack date is 6 months, some even have 1 year, so yeah the reserve is considered good to go for whatever the time limit is in your country (6 months now in the States). You do not pack your own reserve though, a rigger does that.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Also, I know reserve chutes must be repacked after so many days. Do chutes ever become "stale" like bread does over time? If you packed your reserve six months ago, and you are sure you packed it right, would you feel comfortable jumping with it today?

There a few variables and important one is conditions that rig was stored in.

I trust that a properly packed reserve would function fine well in excess of the 6 month repack cycle if it was store in temperate dry conditions, that protected it from damadge.

I am much less likely to trust it if the container has been store in the trunk of some ones car all summer!!! :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Some experiments were done where a parachute was packed for a few years and it still opened correctly. Reserves are regularly repacked and largely so they can be checked for wear.

Same idea as bringing your car into a shop for maintenance, they check out the brakes and suspension bits etc.

-Michael

Some experiments were done where a parachute was packed for a few years and it still opened correctly. Reserves are regularly repacked and largely so they can be checked for wear.

Same idea as bringing your car into a shop for maintenance, they check out the brakes and suspension bits etc.

-Michael

In the late 70's we came upon a bunch of T-10's (S/L rigs w/ D-Bags) that had been packed about 20 years prior...stored well.

We jumped 'em and they all worked...as far as 'stale' goes, gotta admit they smelled a bit funky when we checked them after the jump. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~