Scootersv

How to close ICON it looks good?

Hey folks.

Spent the whole day playing with brand new Icon I4(Smart 150/Pilot 150/Argus) trying to make it looks pretty. I like how the reserve sits in it - firm but not extremely tight, and the pack job i believe should settle down a bit within a week or so, so i might shorten the loop then. Tuck tabs requires a bit of attention on Icons - so stiff (and the reserve tray is full in this case) otherwise there is a chance you could break stiffeners in them - not easy to handle. I know couple of people were saying to me they had them open in free fall but i believe it's due to the tucking them in incorrectly in the first place as Icons appears to be so stiff in yoke area. I've had about 5 jumps on that rig and had no issues with them.
The main concern here though is the main tray of the container. Not something i had difficulties to close but to close it correctly so the whole rig in that part looks nice (main D bag accommodates Pilot 150 nice - good fit, no issues).
So any tips how to close the main tray properly to eliminate wrinkles on flaps 3 and 4?
Closing container all grommets on top of each other?
What length of the closing loop supposes to be in this case than?
Position of the bag in the tray: lines facing BOC or?
Do you pull all the length of the closing loop through all the flaps or just till to the top tip of it through each flap? Or maybe some flaps all the way some to the tip of it?
Tried several methods and no matter what i did after closing the rig end up with the flap 4 grommet slides off flap 3 grommet creating asymmetry in the whole packing job.
I understand the whole issue is not something that'll affect safety of using the rig but rather just having cosmetic effect on the whole thing. Simply wanna know how to make the whole rig looking nice - that's all.
Any thoughts & tips here are welcome and will be much appreciated.

Happy New Year btw. everyone.
Cheers,
Serg

I know how to close it, no probs but i wanna learn how to close and it looks nice after all, if that makes any difference.
I actually was facing the same challenge trying to eliminate wrinkles on Infinity rigs and after receiving some tips from people who deal with them more often than i do the problem was solved.;)

I have an I-5, and largest I packed in it was a 170 Pilot, smallest 143 Lightning and 150 Spectre and Triathlon. When I pack I thread the closing loop through each flap one at a time. When closing 3 and 4 I use my hand to tuck in excess lines stows and material so as to remove the wrinkles. Usually i end up with one side being slightly thicker then the other but that, i believe, is due to the way i put the main in the d-bag. As for the asymmetry of flaps 3 and 4 from the grommets of the top and bottom flaps, and perhaps someone can correct me, wouldn't that be due to the closing loop being too long? If the loop is just long enough the flaps should not have room to move off center.
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

Tried all the techniques pretty much.
Shortened the closing loop as well, made it probably too short - it did the job though regarding the symmetry of the flaps 3 & 4 against the center of the rig but my concern was that the snatch force of the pilot chute won't be enough to pull the pin out. I tried to do it manually and it was not easy, so tight it was. You also end up with many ugly wrinkles doing it that way.

I am not sure what the specs are for the force on main closing pin (if any) but I am pretty sure that if, when you lift the container by the bridle, the pin slips out then you are good (that's about 20 pounds give or take depending on the rig setup).

P.S. Hail Matroskin :)
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.