ChasingBlueSky

Who has a Treo 650?

I just picked one up to help me keep my job and life organized. Should help prevent me from having to bring my work laptop home every night.

Any good advice? And good apps?

I've got one, I'm digging it. I've got the AOL for PDA software, and that is working good. I've had a Palm for years, so this is just the coolest, not having to carry two devices. I've got an aluminum case for it that I like.

Any good advice?

Don't drop it in the toilet (had a guy at work do that)

Your laptop have bluetooth? Find the hack that enables the treo to be a bluetooth 'modem' Otherwise pick up the PDANet software. Nice to have when you'd like a 'net connection for your laptop in the middle of nowhere. :)
If you haven't already, pick up a mem card - especially if you're going to use mp3 ringtones :D Depends on how you need to use it I guess... I've only installed two or three apps in addition to what came with it - it already pretty much does everything.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Main use will be for work. I'm tired of having to bring home so much junk every night, often my laptop (they only allow VPN from approved devices with strict software guidelines). I can transfer most of what I need via outlook and be good to work from home. Will be searching for a bunch of professional apps to put on it.

I like the modem idea. This is my first venture into bluetooth so I am curious to learn more about it for networking and modem use. SO far I am not impressed with the quality of sound from my Motorolla HS820 headset. It sounds like a speakerphone on the other end.

Is there a SDIO Wifi card that will work with this?

I purchased it thinking I would trest drive it for 30 days. I'm keeping it now - love it even if I am only a slight bit into the manual.

My work has provided me a TREO from time to time since I do software development for handheld computers, smartphones, and organizers. TREO's are great multimedia devices, especially the newer 650 model!

However, I'm kinda partial to 2005-era bright-screen BlackBerry models since they can now do almost everything TREO's can do nowadays - and there are some great info at BerryFAQ.com. Much better than the boring 2003 and 2004 model BlackBerries. Even multitasks concurrent applications better than Treo, as Palm doesn't do multitask yet. Yes, modem as laptop on BlackBerry now too. Treo is still better for MP3 music, since there's no memory slot for BlackBerry...

I must say I'm kind of addicted to 100 hours of reliable nonstop always-on instant messaging (MSN/AIM/ICQ/Yahoo), which TREO doesn't yet have the continuous battery life for. Need something more durable, several 3 and 4 feet drops to floors and concrete and my BlackBerry is still working. Treo's would have been broken long by now...

Four new BlackBerry models (7100, 7290, 7520 and 7250) finally has much better bright photo screen quality than the original TREO600, although not as good as the newer TREO650 (high rez 320x320)... However, infinitely far more reliable, and finally over 1000 downloads available. Until recently, BlackBerry used to really suck for software (only 2 chat apps at start of 2004). Now there's about 30-40 different brands of third party chat software, plus a software catalog finally exceeding 1000, including word processors, multiple brands of HTML web browsers, open source software, etc.

I was torn between the 650 and the new g model of the blackberry for Cingular. A couple things went again the blackberry for me - it doesn't use EDGE (thus slower data speeds) and because of the constant data push, Cingular charges more for it. I used to have an old half sized blackberry rim and like it. It was decent for what was out at the time. I had a chance to play with the new one and liked it alot, but treo was a better option in the long run for me. The only downside to the Treo was the lack of the always on - but then I don't need to be that connected (or someone can just call)