Megatron

Canpy lines..whats the difference?

I noticed canopy manufacturers give you a choice between 825lb Microlines, 550lb Microlines, & 525lb Dacron lines.

Im assuming the ###lbs is related to the tensile strength of the line so why would anyone opt for weaker lines? Less drag maybe?

Would someone mind explaining the difference and please pardon my ignorance on the subject.

Thanks! ..now Im even more confused :S

Im guessing Mircoline = Spectra

Ok so here what I gathered:

Microline - packs smaller, opens harder (but not really according to ~50% of you)

Dacron - packs larger, opens softer (but not really according to ~50% of you)

I think Ill play it safe and go with the dacron just in case I come upon a real slammer someday.

Still not sure what exactly the lb. ratings are....

I had the option of going with microline (spectra) or dacron with my canopy. I opted to go with the spectra. Dacron does have the advantages and disadvantages listed above.

Pack volume can be somewhat important especially when you're inexperienced at packing. I jumped a sabre 210 with dacron and one with spectra. The spectra one did fly noticeably better. Maybe not just because of the lines but it was the biggest difference.

Although slammers happen they shouldn't happen that often. I hurt myself a bit on a borrowed rig but I'm sure it was his packjob. I never worry about being smacked by one I packed and you should become similarly confident about your own packing. I don't think they're a big enough issue to change your equipment over.

-Michael

>Im assuming the ###lbs is related to the tensile strength of the line so why
>would anyone opt for weaker lines? Less drag maybe?

Spectra 550: thinner, less bulk, less drag. They are also weaker, wear faster, and are harder to stow.

Dacron: more resistance to wear and more "springiness" to absorb hard openings.