RastaRicanAir

Know anything about Bit Torrents?

Someone just told me about this. It's a P2P file sharing system where people swap massive files of whole albums and stacks of albums instead of individual songs.

Not that I would do such an ethically and legally questionable thing. :)
But if I did, would I be in some weird danger of crashing my computer or having someone crash in my door?
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

It's not really P2P, but it does work well. I used to use torrentspy.com to locate torrents but it appears as recently as a few days ago, some restrictions have been placed on searches.

DC++ is an even more effective way of finding what you're looking for. ANYTHING can be found there, and I mean anything.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've used torrents alot for downloading Linux CDs. Torrents work great for downloading big CD-size chunks of data.

However, downloading Linux CDs is a completely legal form of P2P. I'm reluctant to download torrents of copyrighted music or movies. The RIAA and MPAA do watch torrent downloading, and you can get in as much trouble with torrents as with other methods of file-sharing.

Also, most torrent applications do not work very well unless you share out the file you are downloading as you are downloading the file. So, while some P2P applications will let you leach and hopefully avoid the attention of the RIAA and MPAA, it is tough to do this with torrents.

Also, the torrent you are downloading needs to be popular for the system to work. People don't share out libraries of files with torrents like they can with the other P2P protocols. You typically only share out the file while you are downloading it.