GARYC24

My town has a plane!

Ah, thought it was interesting to post. We used to have Connie here, as in story, I have jumped from it years ago.

The city of Camarillo will soon be getting some sky-high promotion.

City Council members have OK'd making a vintage cargo plane Camarillo's official aircraft. The Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando, also known as the China Doll, is based at Camarillo Airport and maintained by the Commemorative Air Force.

"We don't have a bird or a flower, but we have ... airplanes," said Councilwoman Charlotte Craven.

In 1997, Camarillo entered into a similar agreement with the Commemorative Air Force.

A vintage Lockheed Constellation aircraft was named Camarillo Connie and flew in air shows all over the West.

But the plane was sold to a private party and moved to Switzerland, said Pat Brown, public information officer for the Commemorative Air Force. With that plane gone for five years or more, the organization asked City Council members if they were interested in designating the C-46 as the city's new official aircraft. The council agreed, signing off on the agreement at its Wednesday meeting.

Camarillo will pay nothing for licensing its name under the agreement, and the city will get promoted at more than a dozen air shows every year.

"Wherever we go people ask where we're from," Brown said. Having the new name -- Camarillo Commando -- will help answer that question. She said she is hoping to have Camarillo's logo on the plane in time for the Commemorative Air Force, Southern California Wing's August air show.

Camarillo's a nice little place. But my God, it has grown. I remember that 20 years ago I could come down off of the Conejo grade and see nothing but lights off in the distance. Now, it's lights down below.

Ya got that right Rocket!

We were looking at property there 6-7 years ago, screwed up and came to Texas instead...wifey was there last week and the prices have DOUBLED in 6 years!:o

I remember when the Connie first got there and was being fixed up. We use to fly out of there all the time so I got to keep up on the progress.
...and ever donated a bit of elbow grease now and then to the restoration.

I think it's fitting the city has the old girl as it's plane!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There were 2 Connies there 1-flew other did not.
One in the story used to fly jumpers in California City a couple of times.

Hummm..I remember a red & white one...it was the only one there at the time...like about 6 - 7 years back.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~