sraja

Cutaway #2 - Saftey Tip

I've seen more cutaways and other problems recently from excess steering lines stowed in some goofy manner lately. I've wondered why this is but I've come to this one conclusion. People are in too much of a hurry to unstow their toggles. Slow down. There is really no hurry to unstow your toggles. The parachute will fly just fine with rear risers until you get them unstowed. Also, when taking hold of them, LOOK. Don't just grab.

I'm not recommending this. But I have not stowed my excess steering line for the pat 4,500 jumps and have never had a problem. The canopies I've been jumping during this period has been a Jonathan, a Jedi, and a Velocity. Different lengths of excess line, but I use the same technique unstowing them.

-Open
-Fly with rear risers
-Stow my slider
-Look at my left toggle, grasp left toggle
-Glance in front of me
-look at right toggle, grasp right toggle
-Release both brakes simultaneously
-Loosen chest strap with brakes in hands

It sounds like a lot but it takes very little time in practice.

Happy brake unstowing!
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."