gweeks

Sanity Check Vigil Cutter Replacement

I just got a Sidewinder rig with a Vigil 1 and Type 1 cutter to repack. The cutter is located on the right side flap which goes over the pilot chute. According to this information bulletin the cutter must be replaced if it is located above the extractor (assuming that means pilot chute) even if the plastic heads do not appear to be damaged. I just want to make sure I'm reading this right and not telling the guy to spend $135 + shipping on a new cutter unnecessarily. Also, Paragear calls the new cutter a Vigil II Replacement cutter. Can it also be used on a Vigil 1?

Thanks for any input!

Yes, you can install a Vigil 2 cutter with a Vigil 1.
Only the latest version of the Vigil 2 cutter will last.

The problem is that Vigil has been through too many versions of cutters. The first version had a solid plastic insert. I have never seen a first generation plastic insert crack.
The problem began with the second batch of plastic inserts which had bubbles, cracks, rough edges, etc. I have repacked more than a hundred first and second generation Vigil cutters without cracking, but it is easy to see how a rigger with "more muscle than skill" could over-torque a plastic insert and crack it.

Hint: "positive leverage devices" have been frowned upon - for decades - for good reason.

In conclusion, I would keep a Vigil 1 cutter in service until the plastic starts to crack, at which point I would replace it with the lastest version of Vigil 2 cutter.

Thanks Rob! After seeing tented reserve closing loop anchor plates, excessive rip cord pull forces, and cracked skyhook covers, I have vowed never to use a leverage device to close a rig.

One more question. Do you think, given Vigil's "Information Bulletin," keeping a Vigil Type 1 cutter in service if it's installed over a pilot chute violates this part of FAR 105 (I am in the US):

"If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device."

Yes, keeping a Vigil 1 cutter in service violates the letter of the law.
But when the letter of the law competes with dollars, we have to consider both.
Then we have to consider the intent of the law, which is to prevent sharp edges from prematurely cutting closing loops.
If the cutter is still smooth, you comply with the intent, but not the letter of the law.
In practice, this means that we have a year or two to replace all the defective second-generation (Vigil 1) cutters.

I personally feel that it would only be OK to use a type1 cutter where the unit is not sandwiched between grommets. However when the rules say to change it I change it. I also change the perfectly good vector closing loops every time because they say I have to. I tend to be anal like that.

-Michael