bdazel

brake fire - Mirage G3

http://www.lifepursuitvideo.net/asppublic/Video47240.aspx?VID=10325&VF=blahblah_081608-1953.flv[url]

1000 jumps with 24in risers on my Crossfire in a Mirage G3 and I never had a brake fire. Third jump on this rig and I have a brake fire. I've packed 30-50k+ rigs, so I'm confident it wasn't a packing error.

Maybe I need new risers? These are 20in. I plan to get 24 in risers. With 24s I expect the excess brake line will sit in the main pack tray rather than against the riser covers; reducing the chance that it will snag the riser covers.

Anyone have a similar experience, and how did you correct it?

Just a thought, but maybe your hand placement on the risers caused the problem? Since they are shorter riser, I'd wager that you grip them the same height from your shoulders, which would mean a different place with respect to the toggles than your longer risers.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

With 24s I expect the excess brake line will sit in the main pack tray rather than against the riser covers; reducing the chance that it will snag the riser covers.

How about actually stowing the excess brake line somewhere?!!!

My toggles have velcro mating to the risers. Worn velcro caused some premature brake releases...always on the same side. New toggles cured the problem.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You know, that would be the easy fix. It's been so long since I stowed brake lines, that I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a go until I get the new risers.

Here's a couple more questions if you don't mind.

1. How did you get to the point where you never considered stowing the excess brake line? Did no one ever do it when you learned to pack?

2. Will you keep stowing the excess brake line even when you get your new risers?

(The reason I ask is because when I learned to skydive, people just stowed it, and no one ever considered not stowing it.)

From a packer's standpoint, if one wants the excess stowed, they stow it themselves. So I never worried about it. Many jumpers just prefer not to stow the excess probably because it is not really necessary, at least on some rigs (my current setup excluded [:/] ) I learned to pack on student gear; at that time I stowed the excess, and still do, just not generally on sport rigs I guess.

Anyway, once I get the longer risers I won't stow it unless I have another brake fire, at which point I'll keep changing things up to figure out what the real problem is.