GARYC24

Ca, social security letter

Anyone else get a letter stating amount you'd get if you retired now, and at retirement age?
Now, I would receive ~$950 month
at 65-70 I would get ~$1595 month..
and all that is subject to change of course..
I'm 45!
Been inspired to keep my part time job!

It's not just California - I get them in Washington. Can't remember what the last numbers were on mine.

I laugh and recycle them because I doubt there's gonna be much left in the Social Security fund by the time I'm retirement age (I'm 34). At least, I'm certainly not going to count on it... it'd be nice bonus money if it's still there.

(Hoping that was a neutral enough statement to avoid getting this moved to SC!).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I laugh and recycle them because I doubt there's gonna be much left in the Social Security fund by the time I'm retirement age (I'm 34). At least, I'm certainly not going to count on it... it'd be nice bonus money if it's still there.

The SSA has been required to send those out on an annual basis for a few years now. This is combat the problem of people finding lots of bad data 30 years after the fact. I still need to call in and correct some information - I have no income listed in 1996, as well as 1800$ of income in 1973, when I was 1.

Even in the 2030s, SS will still project to be taking in 12.4% for everyone, so it will have money to pay out. But probably not 100%, and it may be means tested.