wuffo

I'll bet there's fewer on welfare, too!

For those of you who are not aware,
North Dakota and southwestern Montana got hit with
their first blizzard of the season a couple of weeks ago.

This text is from county emergency manager out in the
western part of North Dakota state after the storm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 24" inches of snow and winds to 50 MPH that broke trees in half, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed all roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

George Bush did not come....
FEMA staged nothing....
No one howled for the government...
No one even uttered an expletive on TV...
Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.....
No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House....
No news anchors moved in.

We just melted snow for water, sent out caravans to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars, fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Aladdin lamps and put on an extra layer of clothes.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early...we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

Everybody is fine.

Dude, your profile says you're in Florida. I'm sure if this story were to happen in Florida.. Well it would all be Bush's fault and FEMA would be there to pick up the pieces. :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I grew up in North Dakota and it wasn't an event unless you got 6 feet of snow wind chills below -50. Heck for two feet of snow school wouldn't even have been called off....LOL :D

now this is a classic ND blizzard shot
http://nsidc.org/snow/gallery/blizzard_1966b.html

BTW....if this was the blizzard on Oct. 5th, I was in ND at my Mom's funeral. Other than annoying the snow was no big deal.
--------------------------------
Really we shouldn't trivialize what happened in the gulf. A blizzard is very different from a hurricane and people in the midwest are more than prepared for it. I know we had Blizard emergency supplies in the basement that could last a week easy, and the car had a winter survival kit that could probably keep you going for 48 hours if you conserved your fuel.
Fly it like you stole it!