swilson

Soft rings on Rigging Innovations TY17 risers, excellent customer service

A heads-up for people to inspect their gear, and a comment on customer service...

I purchased a set of TY17 risers from Rigging Innovations late last year, and have now put approximately 30 jumps on them. My reserve recently needed a repack, and my rigger noticed that the large rings on the risers showed a considerable amount of denting from the harness rings (see pictures) which is inconsistent with the number of jumps on the risers. The rings are still round, so the ability to cut away would not have been affected. I am jumping a Xaos 27 that opens really nicely, so there have not been any undue stresses applied with hard openings.

I contacted RI about this, and their immediate response was that they were making me a new set of risers, and to send my risers back to them for further investigation. I want to say a big thank-you to Kit Sanders and Sandy Reid for their excellent customer service. Sandy also mentioned that while it is not uncommon for riser rings to get small dents over time, they should not be as pronounced and as soon as in this case.

Interesting. Preliminarily, and based only on the photos, I'd suspect those rings missed something in the hardening process. Somebody is likely going to want a bunch of rings in the field evaluated...

Certainly yet another reason for OWNERS to do periodic inspections of the items accessible to them.

JW

PS - (edited to add:) To be clear: This was NOT a dig at the OP. And I commend the rigger for catching it as some don't inspect the mains or associated parts.
This was directed at the community at large in that it is one of the many types of problems that can be caught early by an informed owner who checks his gear between repacks as well as by the rigger when it is in the shop for AIR. :)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...