CityBoy

Is it possible to masturbate too much?

Nope, not surprised at all, and I don't mind the reaction if it's a reaction to what I actually said and not a reaction to a misrepresentation of what I said.

The one nice thing about what's in writing (vs. words spoken in an oral argument) is that people can go back and read it.

When insecure people feel the slightest bit judged, they'll sometimes put words in your mouth and then attack them (or your spelling)...

More underlying presumptions and a (by definition) passive-aggressive personal attack.

even if you were only questioning the wisdom or appropriateness of talking publicly about the subject

Other than to say that sex is...[refer to original post]...you haven't said why public discussion of masturbation isn't appropriate. I refer you back to Betty Dodson.

(in this case, private matters like mastUrbation). Some just can't accept a difference of opinion.

There we go with the underlying presumptions again.

You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, but when you post it here, it's not as if it's not subject to debate.

Some people just can't accept that not everyone agrees with their opinion. I don't agree with yours. But I haven't attacked you (except for a spelling flame because it was just so ironic in this context), and all you've done is answer with subtle personal attacks.

I said what I wanted to say, and have moved on.

Good for you. I find this whole subject fascinating. As children, some of us are told all manner of terrible things will happen to us if we touch ourselves. As grown-ups, we're either left with the scars of that or we discover that not only is it okay, but that sharing it can be more fun than ordinary people should be allowed to have. Phone sex and demonstrating for a lover both come to mind.

From the time my daughter started to be interested in sex, I simply answered her questions. I did let her know that touching herself was something that one does not do in the living room, because it makes others uncomfortable, but I never did anything to make her feel bad about her body. She's never had any trouble talking to me about sex, and there's nothing wrong with her love life.

I know people who are pretty screwed up sexually just because they were given a lot of bad messages about sex, and they never grew out of them. I also know others who manage to have sex lives in spite of the early teaching, but they always feel a little guilty and dirty afterwards. If sex is so friggin' beautiful, why would that be?

I posit that it is because there is altogether too little open discussion of the subject, and people are left to feel as if there's something wrong with them and only them.

As near as I can see, public discussion of the subject only helps to remedy that.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb