AlexCrowley

Grammar geeks help required.

What is 'thing'

A hand that came out of a box on "The Adam's Family". :P

I loved that show. I can still sing the song. Aaah, the good ol' days...
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"So, I want you to fill out this questionaire thing".

What is 'thing' - an abstract noun?

Thank you. I need to insult someone at some point today about this subject so your prompt attention is appreciated.

If I'm not mistaken, adding the word "thing" changes your direct object from "questionnaire" to "thing" and turns "questionnaire" into a modifier, as if to suggest it might just as easily be some other type of thing. Since the intent of the sentence is obviously to inform the reader or listener (the indirect object of the sentence) that you would like him or her to fill out a questionnaire, rather than to define the thing as a questionnaire, "thing" is not only unnecessary, it is grammatically incorrect.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

"thing" is not only unnecessary, it is grammatically incorrect.

"thingie" would be better. "whatchamadoozit" or "jobbie" would also work.:)

Just trying to help.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

depending on how you read it...

in that sentence, "thing" could either be the noun, with "questionnaire" as its adjective

OR

"questionnare" is an adjective describing the noun "thing".

either way, it's piss-poor structure.

The English Major Has Spoken,

and next time you could just ask me :P

If I'm not mistaken, adding the word "thing" changes your direct object from "questionnaire" to "thing" and turns "questionnaire" into a modifier, as if to suggest it might just as easily be some other type of thing. Since the intent of the sentence is obviously to inform the reader or listener (the indirect object of the sentence) that you would like him or her to fill out a questionnaire, rather than to define the thing as a questionnaire, "thing" is not only unnecessary, it is grammatically incorrect.

Douva!! Not only am I impressed, I think I'm in love.

Be still my heart! ;)