riddler

Phone solicitations Disabled American Veterans

So I'm on the Federal Do-not-call list. It's great, but the loophole is that any non-profit is able to call you. For the last two years, I get about one call a week from the Disabled American Veterans, with a recording asking for clothes donations. I donate clothes to them by dropping them off at the store here in Denver - I hate the fact that they keep calling me.

I'm all for the DAV - hell, my father is 100% disabled vet. We buy about half our clothes from them. I give them my old ones. But they have no way for me to get off their stupid calling list. The recording doesn't tell you anything, and you can't call the number back - it's not valid for receiving calls.

I've tried blocking the number. That stops them for about two weeks - then they change numbers - at one point I had six of their numbers blocked, but they kept calling with new numbers. I've tried sending emails to the DAV online. I've written them letters. I've called local chapters and have people told me that they would try to help me. I can't get off the stupid calling list. Every week for two years. Sometimes two or three times a week. They leave recorded messages.

How do I get them to stop? Any ideas?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I have had EXACTLY the same problem. I'm on the dnc list, I've called the DAV a number of times to rectify the matter, and now I get called only about once a month. Usually it's at 8am, a few hours after I've gone to bed. I've started donating to the ARC or Goodwill to avoid contact. If you find a solution, please let me know. I think it might be overkill to change my number.

Thanks

I've got a simple answer. I don't give my phone number out to anyone. Whenever it rings, I *know* it's a telemarketer and I only answer if I feel like having some fun with the poor sap on the other end of the line.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What type of phone number pops up on your Caller ID?

If it is blocked or unavailable number, you can have your phone company put up a non solicitation message. Pretty much it says:

This party does not accept solicitation; if this is not a solicitation please enter a valid 10 digit phone number now.

Thats what my family had to do to get them to stop.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

I've got a simple answer. I don't give my phone number out to anyone. Whenever it rings, I *know* it's a telemarketer and I only answer if I feel like having some fun with the poor sap on the other end of the line.

Blues,
Dave

I have it easy. Being deaf, I use a TTY, which when you tap on the keyboard, emits a series of electronic beeps. It sounds like a fax machine gone berserk. :ph34r: so every time I answer the phone, if I don't get any words being typed across the little screen, I KNOW it's a goddamn telemarketer, so this is what I type, knowing it only sounds like electronic gobbledygook to them:

"FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING COCKSUCKERS!!!"

:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What type of phone number pops up on your Caller ID?

Sometimes 800 numbers, sometimes local callers. You would think these would be easy to track down, right? Well, I haven't had any luck.

If it is blocked or unavailable number, you can have your phone company put up a non solicitation message.

My phone company is Vonage :D They just now introduced local 7-digit dialing, and they don't offer call blocking anymore. My guess is they can't help much, except offer to change my phone number.

I have it easy. Being deaf, I use a TTY, which when you tap on the keyboard, emits a series of electronic beeps. It sounds like a fax machine gone berserk. Sly so every time I answer the phone, if I don't get any words being typed across the little screen, I KNOW it's a goddamn telemarketer, so this is what I type, knowing it only sounds like electronic gobbledygook to them:

"FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING COCKSUCKERS!!!"

Send me your phone number - I'd love to hear this :D

Really, it's not bad - the Caller ID always says "Disabled American Veterans", so I don't answer. And it's a recording on the other end, so cursing at them doesn't do much good. But I hate the interruption with the phone ringing that I have to go check it, then wait a few minutes for them to finish spewing into my voice mail so that I can then call the voice mail and delete the message.

Well, I still get the calls, so I emailed the DAV national office a few days ago. This is a response I got earlier today:

After some investigation into the matter, I found that the automated
calls are coming from a Thrift Store in your area.

Firstly, the DAV National Organization does not conduct thrift store
operations of any nature in Colorado or elsewhere.

I have contacted the Department of Colorado to have your name removed
from their "calling list" and they indicated that they would be happy
to
do so.

I hope this answers your concerns and that you will continue to march
with us in our efforts to serve America's disabled veterans.

Sincerely,
(Name Removed)
Manager of Donor Relations
DAV National Headquarters

So, if you have this problem, what I would recommend is call all the local DAV thrift stores in your area, and ask to be removed from their automated calling lists.

We'll see if the local thrift store actually does it for me.