beatcreation

Flight Concepts Clipper and Psycho Packing

Hey all, first time posting. I have recently purchased a used flight concepts clipper (DOM 2002) and I was hoping to get some opinions. I have heard some interesting (not good) things about the clipper most of which I believe was in reference to the older versions of the clipper. Are the more recently manufactured versions a better canopy? Also I am hoping someone out there has tried psycho bagging the clipper. I am trying to squeeze it into a very snug container and the only way I can bag it is to roll it, (could also be the fact that I suck at s-fold bagging). Anyone got any info on either of these issues?

I did email red, and he gave me the response that I would expect from any canopy company really. I was advised that he does not have experience packing canopies that way and if I wanted to I could but the suggested packing method is pro pack.

The thing about so called psycho packing or what some may say should really be called psycho bagging is that it is basically the same as pro packing and the only real difference is the method used to put the canopy in the bag. I find this sport very interesting in that you find many conflicting opinions on gear and rigging. I mean, hell you have some people who say that you would have to be crazy to psycho bag a canopy and then you have others that would never not psycho pack. Heck , precision aero a canopy company is all about packing this way.

These types of conflicts make it so difficult for newbies like myself. You cant even get people to agree upon canopies. Two people could jump the same exact canopy and one could say that it opened off heading and slammed them and the other would say it was like floating on feathers and totally awesome.

I'm not sure what my point really was to writing all this. I guess I was just venting a bit. Obviously having a rigger or a very experienced packer guiding me in my packing process will alleviate a lot of my issues. This sport definitely takes patients and you gotta squirm on the ground barely able to crawl before you can walk let alone run.

Oh and I am definitely still interested in hearing everyones opinions of the clipper canopy in general.

Thanks

I remember feeling frustration similar to yours years ago. Bagging takes practice, patience, and some tips from your local experienced packers.

Clipper was my initial canopy and I think it's fine for learning the basics of canopy control. Mine had some brisk openings, but that didn't bother me. I like a canopy that's definitely open when I deploy, rather than a snivelly one that takes ages to open.

What rig are you trying to put this canopy into?

Chris

Chris

I am trying to put it into an Infinity I-54 which is more ideal for a 150-170 ZP canopy. The last owner had a triathalon 175 and I figured I could get a 190 f-111 into it. It does fit (snug but not too bad) its just that I am finding currently that I am only able to bag it the way mentioned above. I figure I have all winter to practice the normal way of pro bagging too.

Other than some brisk openings did you have much else to say about the canopy? How are the flight characteristics, and flare? Also did you ever have trouble making it back to the DZ? I cant wait to give this canopy a try but Ill have to wait till spring so any info you got would be appreciated.