ExAFO

Checkride in 2 weeks.

Finally after 2 years (with a 10 month hiatus) of flying on and off, My checkride is scheduled for a week from tomorrow...

I am so anxious to get thru it...

Any tips from the pilots here?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Good luck. I remember my checkride and it was tough. Everything was thrown at me 1-2-3-4 without much of a pause in between. I was so tensed I had my feet jammed into the rudders like they were brake pedals.

It's like skydiving- relax and breathe.

I was so stressed when I took my check ride! We had 12 knot cross wind and he gave me the option of taking it that day or waiting a month but no leanancy would be given if I took it on the windy day. Needless to say I passed although he wouldn't tell me the results until we walked back into the hanger he just looked at me like I killed his dog so I thought I failed.

Be up on your emergency procedures because you will do almost all of them. During my checkride he pulled the throttle while I was doing my 45 degree 360's, I thought I failed because I never completed it and whent straight to emergency procedures. Be ready for everything at any time and you will do fine!!!
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Mine was 15 G 22 but only about 10-15 degrees off runway heading. I thought I'd be failed for poor judgement right on takeoff and I made all my concerns known up front but the examiner was 'Ah, that's right down the runway- no problem' Then we walked up to the plane and the first thing he does is stick his arm through prop arc into the engine cowling. Don't know what he was really doing but I yanked it back anyways.

What fun!

"I don't know, but I know where to look to find out."

Works at least once.

Use every checklist you have.

Highlight all the local VOR frequencies on your sectional if they can be hard to find in the clutter. You'll need to find one while busy. And check the morse code after tuning it. I had the frequencies memorized... he didn't like that and made me look it up.

Do clearing turns between EVERY maneuver... the examiner won't remind you and will fail you if you forget.

My examiner was tough, but very fair. He went over the entire sequence of the flight test, in order, including approximately when he'd be doing the simulated engine failure. No surprises. I think the oral portion was harder than anything else.

We started the flight portion off just great... almost failed the preflight when I took the first fuel sample. He asked if my checklist told me to do that. I said no. He said I need to follow the checklist. I reminded him that the checklist in the 1969 172 flight manual doesn't say to take fuel samples at all. He also wanted to fail me for bringing foggles instead of a hood, but he wasn't allowed.

After landing he didn't tell me if I had passed or failed... I pretty much knew I'd passed because they are required to tell you the moment you fail. When he told me he was going to get his typewriter, i was pretty sure I must have passed.

Finally he debriefed me... told me I came in too high on the simulated engine out landing (which was obvious), but he wouldn't fail me because another one of my instructor's students did the same thing the week before so clearly it was the instructors fault. He called the instructor in to chastise him at that point.

Overall it wasn't really too bad... if your instructor says you're ready, you're ready. Just a bit stressful.

Dave

Do clearing turns between EVERY maneuver... the examiner won't remind you and will fail you if you forget.

------------------------------------------------------

I am still a student pilot but I hear this all the time about the checkride at my flight school and on pilot websites.