GiaKrembs

Scooter / Moped

Anyone drive or know much about scooters. I'm looking to buy one for my daily commute to work. I know I'll need at least 150cc as the speed on the roads I drive are up to 55 mph... but other than that, not really sure on quality, brand etc....

Any input is appreciated!

g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Scooters are goofy... Pick up a Kawasaki ninja 250 for a couple grand. Then you'll be a biker chick.

grrr baby, grrr. :$

had a moped when i was 14, went like 25 mph, not what you want.. a scoter in the 75cc 2 cycle range would probly work if it wasn't for highway driving... a friend had one when i lived in germany and his little 50cc one would go about 45mph..... if you want to go that fast though, i would just get a full out motorcycle... a little 250 like mentioned above would probly be great, i had a 250 ninja and loved it......... wish i wouldn't of sold it....

Why do you think a scooter is the right way to go for you?

I think scooters are awful. Having something between your legs (conventional bike) gives you control over it in ways that you just can't do on a scooter - you can push on it with your legs/knees. The wheels on scooters are small - potholes, or bumps of any kind are much more severe with smaller wheels.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

if that's what ya want, would be simple, just start and go, don't have to shift and it is a 4 cycle so no gas mixing..... go for it.... just take a motorcycle safety class and wear aporpriate clothing.......

what about something like this????

http://www.piaggiousa.com/pscooters/bv500Specs.cfm

g

For the same price, or less you can have:
2006 Honda Shadow VLX (583cc) - $5399
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD - $4899
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C40 - $4399
2006 Yamaha V Star Custom - $5799

All are approximately the same size (500-600cc) and will be alot more fun than a scooter...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

what about something like this????

http://www.piaggiousa.com/pscooters/bv500Specs.cfm

g

$6199* MSRP? dayum....

it will do 39MPH, has a single cylinder engine, and gets 96 MPG.

The kawi 250cc is an Inline 4, MSRP $2999 and does over 110MPH (downhill, not that I would know) and I remember getting about 75MPG on it, but I am a fat ass.

What are the laws regarding motorcycles/scooters in your area? Check for helmet laws, insurance laws, and license laws.

I know in WA, you have to have a helmet and a motorcycle endorsement, but insurance is not required. The scooter may be a benefit if it doesnt require insurance because I believe motorcycles require it in CA.

I dont mean to steer you one way or the other, just looking at options :P

In all honesty, I'm afraid if I get anything with too much power I'd go NUTZ on it!!! I just want something simple to get back and forth to work... 15 mile commute each way. I take all surface streets to work, but one of the roads I take the speed limit is 55mph.

The wheels on scooters are small - potholes, or bumps of any kind are much more severe with smaller wheels.

This is a very valid point... I'll keep looking.... B|

g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

In all honesty, I'm afraid if I get anything with too much power I'd go NUTZ on it!!! I just want something simple to get back and forth to work... 15 mile commute each way. I take all surface streets to work, but one of the roads I take the speed limit is 55mph.

The wheels on scooters are small - potholes, or bumps of any kind are much more severe with smaller wheels.

This is a very valid point... I'll keep looking.... B|

g

Take a look at the 4 motorcycle models I've listed above... you should find something there that would suit you... none are overly powerful but will put a smile on your face and all are great for those 15 mile trips, but not for long distances....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

it will do 39MPH, has a single cylinder engine, and gets 96 MPG.

The ad claimed that it can do 96 miles per hour, I don't see a reference to 39 anything. I have had a 125 and 250 that I've used for 30,000 miles on the street, and the best I got was about 60 miles per gallon with the 125. That was a long time ago, maybe they've become a lot more efficient.

Be careful of claims that scooters don't require insurance or whatever. In many states that was true only for engines 50cc and smaller.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am