Zeemax

oh my god, car people...

I just took a mates car out for a quick spin and holy shit... seriously, i need new pants!

Its a mitsubishi evo 6 tommi makinen ltd edition. Holy fuck it's quick and sticks to the road like glue. We had it coming off a round about at speeds that aren't even legal on the motorway and we couldn't get the back end to step out.

I'm in love! :D
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

See, now you understand why the smart people drive Imprezas and Lancer Evos ;)

To get the tail out on that kind of car, apply a bit of brake as you stay on the throttle, it'll decelerate the rear wheels and cause a traction loss while the front stays planted. Once it steps out, get on the throttle HARD and apply countersteer.

Alternatively, lift off the throttle or clutch in for a moment to cause a forward weight shift, and you'll get a similar effect.
cavete terrae.

Getting into a habit of applying brakes in turns to get the rear end of a car to step out is a stupid idea. What do you think will happen when you try that in a mid engined car or something less forgiving with no traction control?

A light lift is ok, but be ready to get back on the throttle and counter steer very quickly and precisely if things start to go wrong.

I love small cars that stick to the road. Attached is a picture of my new 2006 Honda Civic SI. It sticks pretty good even on factory rubber.:)

How do you like that car. I have a 2000 si that I love, but I'm not in awe of the new ones for some reason. I think it's because I don't like the front end.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

My suggestion was for a front engine all wheel drive vehicle, specifically the Lancer Evo. I didn't mean to imply it's the right solution for all cars. Yes, doing that in a mid or rear engine vehicle is going to have a different effect.

If left foot braking was overall a bad idea, I somehow doubt it'd be the technique of choice for rally drivers around the world. In the right vehicle, it's much more controllable than lift off throttle oversteer.

On the subject, oversteer is more or less pointless outside of a rally anyway, since you're not using the tyres effectively. Rally only gets the exception because they don't get to practice their line, and it's a lot easier to drift a turn and tighten or widen as needed than it is to attempt a mid-line modification when using the maximum amount of traction the tyres have.
cavete terrae.

How do you like that car. I have a 2000 si that I love, but I'm not in awe of the new ones for some reason. I think it's because I don't like the front end.

I love it. I had a 2002 SI that I hated. The front end takes a little getting used to. I added a front protector (bra). It helps a little.
Skymama stalker #69!!!!

On the subject, oversteer is more or less pointless outside of a rally anyway, since you're not using the tyres effectively. Rally only gets the exception because they don't get to practice their line, and it's a lot easier to drift a turn and tighten or widen as needed than it is to attempt a mid-line modification when using the maximum amount of traction the tyres have.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, it is mostly pointless, but sometimes slightly inducing oversteer with a light lift can be useful if you overcook it into a corner and need to get the nose in before you track too far out. Either way, I wouldn't suggest that anyone who has to ask how to do it, try it in any environment other than a parking lot or somewhere else with lots of empty space.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, it is mostly pointless, but sometimes slightly inducing oversteer with a light lift can be useful if you overcook it into a corner and need to get the nose in before you track too far out. Either way, I wouldn't suggest that anyone who has to ask how to do it, try it in any environment other than a parking lot or somewhere else with lots of empty space.

Well said. I remember the police showing up when I set up cones in a stadium parking lot after I got my car, when I decided to start finding the limits of the car.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"
"Finding out how my car will react in abnormal situations, thus making myself a safer driver because I will be able to keep it under control"
"Well then.. be safe!" :ph34r:
cavete terrae.