Blink

Cobalt Recovery Arc

Yup, me again. I've put a good number of jumps on the same sized Sabre2 at the same wingloading as a XF2, Cobalt, Stiletto and others (Safire2, Pilot, Mamba, VX, Velo, Katana, Nitro...and a string of others that I have a handful of jumps on).

The Sabre2 has a longer recovery arc then a Stiletto, about the same if not just a hair shorter then a Cobalt, shorter then a XF2 and significantly shorter then a Katana.

For me if I was looking for a good entry level canopy I'd get a Sabre2. If I wanted a moderate canopy for beginning swooping then I'd stay with the Sabre2. Basically I'd jump the Sabre2 until reaching around a 1.6 wingloading then change over to the same sized Katana jumping those until around a 2.0-2.1 wingloading then move onto a Velocity. That's over the course of a minimum of 1000 jumps with coaching.

That's just me, though. If I was you, I'd demo everything I could get my hands on that is appropriate for my skill set, jump numbers and experience. Find a local mentor and go from there (along with coaching from experienced and qualified people like Scott Miller).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks very much Dave, that's where I figured the canopy stood (about the same as Sabre2, but less than CF2, recovery arc wise).

I've got a couple mentors and definately plan to get as much help/advice/coaching as I can.

Thanks again!

the cobalt has a "positive" recovery arc, it will come out of a dive without control input. at equal wing loadings the cobalt has a faster or shorter recovery arc than a stilleto.
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

> So does this make the Cobalt a bad choice for swooping?

no, the cobalt is an ideal and forgiving choice at low wing loadings to learn swooping

and at higher wing loadings is suitable to compete on. A few years ago Eric Butts competed under a cobalt 120 (he is a BIG guy) and was ranked 9th i believe after a year of competition against a field of all crossbraced canopies, Chuck blue, used to compete under a cobalt as well. It wont swoop as far as a velocity or x1 but a good pilot can get a respectable 250-300' swoop.

-
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)