gearless_chris

Comp Cobalt brakeline question

I got my new Competition Cobalt a couple weeks ago. I noticed right away the brakelines are too short, there's almost no slack in them with the toggles all the way up. I can only pull the front risers about 2 inches before the canopy starts bucking from the brakes being pulled. I'm going to have new lines made but need an idea how much to start with and where to add it. The canopy doesn't stall before I release the brakes, and the stow length on the risers looks right.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I got my new Competition Cobalt a couple weeks ago. I noticed right away the brakelines are too short, there's almost no slack in them with the toggles all the way up. I can only pull the front risers about 2 inches before the canopy starts bucking from the brakes being pulled. I'm going to have new lines made but need an idea how much to start with and where to add it. The canopy doesn't stall before I release the brakes, and the stow length on the risers looks right.

There is a trim chart on AtAir's web page. I'd check it out for reference.

The length of the steering lines from the canopy to the cat's eye (the loop for blocking the brakes) shouldn't be changed- it's set by the manufacturer for what works best on opening. On the other hand, a lot of canopies come from the factory with the brakelines too short- if you need them longer, add only below the cat's eye (on some canopies it's possible to only replace the line below it, on others the cat's eye is a piece of line fingertrapped into the steering line so the whole piece from the cascades down needs to be replaced, but making sure the locking loop stays in the same place).

Best way to go about determining the proper length is to leave enough line below the loop, make a temporary knot to attach the toggles, jump it and see how it flies. When you're happy with the result, fingertrap the excess inside the brakeline, which will allow you to take some more out later should you need to (like after a few hundred jumps when the lines have shrunk a bit).

My husband had the exact same problem with his Cobalt which was brand new from the factory. Our riger had to add 6 inches to the lower brakelines in order to get it not to buck on front riser dives.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But, the self is not something that one finds. It is something that one creates"- Thomas Szasz