jellob

goggles?

I am still a student, but am looking to start buying some gear. I have figured out which altimeter, helmet, and jumpsuit I want, but have yet to figure out which goggles are appropriate for me. They seem to range from $5 to $100 and have features which seem nice, but excessive. Any suggestions?

Yep, I'll second what Gus said. Esp. on the 'clear lens' part. Granted, I've only got 100 jumps - but

A buddy of mine (~60 jumps) has been through 2 pairs of goggles already. The other day he was sitting next to the open door in the back of the Otter, and I watched as he put on his goggles to shield his eyes from the wind...and one of his interchangeable lenses promptly popped out and flew out the door.

Needless to say, he might've done better with just a pair of plain, clear goggles that cost $5 to replace.

I grabbed a pair of $15 reflective-tinted goggles right off student status, only to find that a) I couldn't use them when it was time to do night jumps, and b) I couldn't see well when it came time to do SUNSET jumps, even. Not to mention that it's sometimes nice to be able to see someone's eyes in freefall or in the tunnel.

Bottom line is, get something cheap and simple for now. They'll be the most versatile, and they can take some damage (and they probably will) - and you can always 'upgrade' to more specific stuff later. (And since we're talking, like, $5 price, it's not going to kill your wallet to not go for the gusto from the start).
Signatures are the new black.

wow "Lloyd dobbler" that sounds very familiar with my flight up at about 6k :P. oh and hey congorats on 100th! and now to stop hijacking the post. i like to have a pair of clear and a pair of tinted, thats just me though i guess, my eyes are sensitive to the sun, probably b/c i never walk around with sunglasses, but never the less they are sensitive. i wouldnt spend more than 20 bucks for a set of goggles right now, thats just my oppinion b/c the lenses get scratched and lenses pop out and all sorts of things can happen.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com