Jodans

Newbie, skydiving and beer.

Ok, I did a search of the forum and found out that beer is basically owed for any first.

However there are a couple things I do not understand.
First off, who does the beer go to?
Second, do any of the DZ's in or around Portland, Oregon have beer rules?
The place I did my tandem at, nobody stuck around long enough to have a beer.
They seemed to come, jump and leave.
I heard no, "You owe me a beer."
Hell, didn't even hear the word.

If there is somewhere around here that has beer rules, thats where I wanna claim as my DZ.
Once I get my license somewhere else where I don't have to buy so much beer. Muahahaha

Jodans

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

If there is somewhere around here that has beer rules, thats where I wanna claim as my DZ.

Good idea. Skydiving is really about the people. You get to know the people by hanging out after the jumping. I've found that a large majority of our extra-curricular training (stuff that's not normally covered in a student progression) is taught after the beer light and brought about by low time jumpers and/or students asking questions.

As for who the beer goes to, it goes to the DZ, everyone there. Some DZs will have beer fridges, you might even be lucky enough to have one with Shiner Bock on tap (only one DZ like thatB|), or you might just need to bring a cooler with ice in it. Eitherway, after the last load takes off or after you've landed with the last load after a kickass sunset load skydive, get a beer, offer beers and enjoy.

There are some Seattle area skydivers, Amazon for one, who are on this site. PM her to ask her for some advice on DZs. Unfortunately I know very little about DZs up there, having never jumped in that state, yet. When I do, you can be for damned sure I'll bring beer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dunno about Oregon, but the beer rules do exist in Washington (though I've found they tend to be quite loosely enforced).

Like AggieDave said, it's more about the socializing than it is about the beer. If you don't drink ... bring something else. Just get to know the people at the DZ, the instructors and everyone else... they'll let you know soon enough how things work. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Most people don't apply beer rules to tandems. Only because most tandems are just there for the one jump, and will not continue on. Just about every DZ has beer rules.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Yeah, I understand it would most likely not be applied to tandems.
However if they had beer rules at that particular drop zone, I would have expected to hear someone SOMEWHERE say beer.
Or at least for the solo and relative work jumpers to stay longer than one jump and go home.

Jodans

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Once I get my license somewhere else where I don't have to buy so much beer. Muahahaha

Dude -

That's like TAX evasion!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun