Beachbum

medical info????

Hi Adam,
Well, you have obviously read this thread. If you search, you will find one or two others where we've discussed this more. As of now, I've had that lung collapse 3 times, and after the 3rd I had a procedure done called an abrasive pleurodesis. Since recovery from that I now have ... hmmm ... maybe 90 - 95 jumps? without any further problems. I am still cautious though! As for your situation, a lot depends on what caused the collapse, the treatment regimen, etc. ... but if they think the cause was blebs, and treatment is just reinflating via suction which it sounds like is happening, you will likely be advised not to jump for at least a year (is what my initial doc had me do). None of my collapses were related to jumping as far as could be determined, nor did they occur at a time near when I had jumped. The things to consider are your level of risk acceptance, and the fact that according to the docs and everything I could find researching on my own, the odds of a 2nd collapse are about 50%. If it happens a 2nd, odds for #3 are about 95%! I'd say discuss it in detail with your doc, and if you aren't happy with the responses, perhaps do what I had to do and find a flight surgeon who has at least some knowledge of skydiving to talk with about it (he was the one who told me about the availability of abrasive pleurodesis). Best of luck ... and feel free to holler if I can be any help.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Does that mean it took you 3 years to get back into jumping?

No, my first jump ever, happened 3 yrs after 2nd spontaneous pneumothorax (which hasn't been treated at all)

Since 2003, if it would have happened - I'd probably glue the damn thing back in position and jump as soon as I feel good enough.
Say.. if I can play 1.5 hours of dynamic tennis - that's good enough for me. And more canopy packing attention - softer openings, of coarse.
No "tennis" skills? - no jumping.
Yes? that kind of fitness? - jumping next day.

You can walk around for a year, eating oranges - doesn't say if you're fit or not[:/]

[Beachbum] "abrasive pleurodesis"

Sounds to me similar to what I've though (Acid makes pleura more stickier)

Check it out (and some tennis please;))
What goes around, comes later.

They have talked aboutdoing some kind of procedure because of my lifestyle which they say will stop it from happened. Just waiting for the consultant to do his rounds and I'm going to find out what is going on hopefully.

Really don't want this to stop me from jumping as its my passion!