JackR

Misrouted RSL

During the 2007 PIA Symposium, there was a rumor floating about UPT switching to forged pins for Sigmas.
Something about them being more difficult to bend - than the current stamped pins.
Mind you, any rigger that can bend those thick, stamped pins needs a lesson in loop length.

here's a couple of bent ones. I contacted RWS ('04) and they were pretty good about sending the newer 11ga pins (or maybe the old ones were 11 and new ones were 10ga). They were a beotch to get through the loop, even with a 1,000lbs spectra pullup cord.
my pics & stuff!

The photo was taken after it got back to the loft and the camera was working. I think it was moved out of the protector flap after the initial gear check.
I know the image is small to make it below the post size maximum. It is difficult to see that the closing loop is also significantly frayed.

I'm glad some of the readers who were unaware of this problem got a chance to see it. There have been a couple comments about the proper routing. The Javelin Owners Manual (http://www.sunpath.com/downloads/manuals/sp_owners_manual.pdf) has a very good illustration on page 32 of the proper routing.

If things don't look right, be sure to ask someone else about it. I've had great support from all of the manufacturers when I call with questions about their equipment and its proper care and maintenance.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm