Nicodemus

Gath Gedi helmet

Just seen these on the (currently being revamped) Gath website.

Has anyone seen/used one? What do they look like without the weird 'Luke Skywalker' visor thing?

Most importantly - do they offer better head protection than the standard Gath?

Any info appreciated.

A wet paper bag offers more head protection than a standard Gath, doesn't it?

Have you worn a wet paper bag over your head for protection?

Have you worn a standard Gath over your head for protection?

If you have, then you wouldn't be answering his question with your question. I own about 6 different helmets, including a Sky System's Oxygn A3, a Gath RV, and a Shoei Mortocycle helmet. The FACT is that a starndard Gath does offer MUCH more protection from bumps and abbrasions than a wet paper bag ever could, or nothing at all. Will it help keep your skull intact if you fail to fly your canopy to the ground safely and have a high speed collision with the oncoming planet? Of course not. At that point, a Crash rated helmet (not a skydiving helmet) would be your best bet.

To the original poster... contact Larina at Gath directly via email: [email protected]. She'll be able to answer any questions you may have. At the very least, she'll be able to provide you a much more accurate comparison between the starndard Gath, and the Gedi.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

While Gath's may protect better than wet paper bags - or French leather hats - they pale in comparison with the other 90 percent of hard-shell helmets.

I agree with you that many other hard shell helmets offer more protection from hard impacts to the skull than the Gath; however, the original poster wasn't asking for a comparison with other hard shell helmets. He was asking for a comparison (if anyone has one) between the Gedi and the standard Gath.

Most importantly - do they offer better head protection than the standard Gath?

So a comparison with a wet paper bag, or anything other than a standard Gath is rather patronizing and quite pointless in this specific thread. :)
Cheers!

--Jairo

So a comparison with a wet paper bag, or anything other than a standard Gath is rather patronizing and quite pointless in this specific thread.

My general point (disguised though it was) was that asking if the Gedi has better protection than the standard Gath is rather pointless, since the Gedi could have much better protection than the standard Gath and still be worse than pretty much anything else on the market.

And yes, I have jumped with a normal Gath.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

asking if the Gedi has better protection than the standard Gath is rather pointless, since the Gedi could have much better protection than the standard Gath and still be worse than pretty much anything else on the market.

I strongly disagree that Nicodemus' question is rather pointless. If the original poster's profile information is correct, then he should have a very good idea of the helmets that are available and popular.

D-Licensed, 1200 jumps, and 9 years in the sport? Yeah, I think he's very aware that the Gath or Gedi aren't gonna offer him as much protection as, say, a Sky System's Oxygn. If he'd want one of those, then he'd be asking for comparisons & opinions of that helmet. However, he asked about the Gedi vs. a standard Gath. Not a Gedi vs. everything else available , or vs. a wet paper bag. :S:P

Cheers!

--Jairo

with my barely 800 jumps i´m fully aware of my lack of knowledge and experience in this awesome sport. so let me just post 2 of my experiences with the gath retractable visor helmet, concerning the protection this helmet offers:

1. on exiting an aircraft i wasn´t used to with a wingsuit i bumped my head on the tail of the plane. the impact was pretty strong, and i have a nice scratch on my gath. during the last 10 years or so, i´ve taken a lot of bumps and strokes to my head, and i do know how strong it has to be to make me unconscious. this one would certainly have send me to dreamy-dream land without the gath helmut.

2. on swooping downwind on a high wind day i flew into a metal street sign, while trying to avoid a cornfield (in vain...) that suddenly came closer and closer. also in this case the protection was enough to avoid injuries at all, that would certainly have occured without the gath.

the point is: it surely is one of the poorly protected helmet on the market, but it IS a helmet, and IMHO it does offer the amount of protection to MY head, that is required in this sport. i wouldn´t go freeskiing, alpine rockclimbing or speedflying with it.

cheers. :)

the point is: it surely is one of the poorly protected helmet on the market, but it IS a helmet, and IMHO it does offer the amount of protection to MY head, that is required in this sport. i wouldn´t go freeskiing, alpine rockclimbing or speedflying with it.

B| I own 2 standard Gath helmets, and just got a Gath RV. I too think that they offer more than enough protection from the standard bumps, scratches, and bruises to be had in this sport. I also own several other skydiving helmets (Oxygn, Rawa, Wes Rich Custom CCM), but I still really like how low profile the Gath's are... and they actually protect my noggin much better than a wet paper bag! ;):P

Cheers!

--Jairo

Thanks for the comments - I didn't really mean to start a discussion but I'm glad I did.
Yes, I think it would be great if Gath designed a 'proper', massive head protection stlyee helmet. A surf helmet is not tailored for skydiving and shouldn't be expected to provide protection for all events that may happen in our own sport. But it would be great if they did a helmet that would pass some kind of safety standard, for us jumpers.
To be honest, I'm a bit dubious as to the impact protection offered by many of the other skydiving specific helmets around, too. Surely there's a reason why cycle/motorbike/protec helmets are the size and have the thick padding that they do. How would they compare in a comparison with one of the popular skydiving helmets around?
For me, it's a balance between protection and practicality. I'm a tunnel rat, and am looking for a helmet that offers reasonable protection whilst still being comfortable to wear - both whilst flying and while spotting from the door. If I can use it in the air too, that's great.
Safety is my biggest concern, but I haven't found a helmet yet that doesn't need a compromise. I bought a Protec snowboarding helmet, but having a small head found the shell is standard size and the liner is really thick, making it stick out from my head. There's too much wind resistance and as soon as I get in the tunnel the air moves it around on my head.
Gath helmets are nice low-profile lids. If, and only if the new one gives better protection than the standard it may convince me to use it at work. If I bash my head on the wall, though, I don't want to wish I was wearing something else!

Hi,

I have a gath that I use for fun jumps and Tandems.

When I origionalyy got it, it was uncomfortable and noisy.

They are indeed intended for use in water sports.

What I did was;
remove the lining and get an old thick polar fleece, trace the shape of the lining , leave a few centimeters where possible around the shape and cut it out.

Purchase a can of 3M super 77 spray adhesive and turn the fleec into a sticker. spray the lining also and when tacky apply the fleeceto teh ling ensuring you keep it tidy as possible.

The get some thin foam and add to the padding where necessary to make a snug fit.

The result, a more comfortable, quieter, low profile helmet that has SLIGTHLY more protection form the original design.

Will it save my life in the event of a high speed impact.....I don't know.

Does it offer me protection?.....hell yeah, you should see all the scratches and chunks that have come out of it!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix