RoadRash

Bad References...

Krisanne, you usually make some fairly salient points, but I think you're way off base here. What your advocating essentially boils down to taking responsibility for one's actions, which is an outmoded concept in our society. I mean seriously, what's next, chivalry?

hee hee:ph34r:

When did it become so commonplace to sue someone when they say something we don't like? Or when we don't get our way? Or when we indulge in dangerous behavior and hurt ourselves?

When did it become so commonplace to sue someone when they say something we don't like? Or when we don't get our way? Or when we indulge in dangerous behavior and hurt ourselves?

I don't think that filing suit against someone who made you lose a job is "suing someone when they say something we don't like." There's a big difference between saying things that mess with someone's livelihood and saying things that we don't agree with.

Then again.....I don't know why I bother. It's amazing that this kind of opinion is most commonly expressed by those who know nothing about the legal profession. Characterizing people who file lawsuits as those who are mad because they "don't get their own way" is a misnomer. People don't file lawsuits because they feel like someone should pay for their mistakes. They file lawsuits because someone ELSE caused them harm.

I can totally respect Krisanne's position - it truly is about what an individual thinks is worth a lawsuit. But I have personally lost a job because my boss was extremely sexist, and if I were back in that place again, knowing what I know, I would think that a month and a half of having to do landscaping in Florida in the summertime to make ends meet would be worth something. And I've just accepted a job at a defense firm.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I wasn't referring to litigation over issues of substance. I wasn't meaning to imply that the original poster didn't have an issue of substance. I was responding to the many responses that suggested filing suit. It's not always the only option.

Then again.....I don't know why I bother. It's amazing that this kind of opinion is most commonly expressed by those who know nothing about the legal profession. Characterizing people who file lawsuits as those who are mad because they "don't get their own way" is a misnomer. People don't file lawsuits because they feel like someone should pay for their mistakes. They file lawsuits because someone ELSE caused them harm.

I know enough about life in general to know that there are many who HAVE filed lawsuits for frivolous reasons...like somebody saying something they don't like or the fast food place for making them fat.

I was commenting on our general sue-happy mentality and wondering why someone always has to "pay" for our mistakes.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. Just the general state of society at this time.

My recommendation to the initial poster would be to move on, let the issue go as it has become a non-issue in her current employment status. Learn from the experience, but why drag up all of those emotions for what could simply have been a difference of opinions on whether or not her behavior was appropriate?

Sorry if you disagree.:)

Sorry if you disagree.

I do disagree. But it's not worth it to explain why - you haven't sat through the horror that is a law school ethics class. Besides, lawrocket and Andy9o8 have already posted eloquently on the issue.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Why the hostility?

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am sorry if I have offended you. No offense was intended.

I didn't think I was being hostile. I'm sorry if it came across that way. Although it kinda sucks when someone demeans your chosen profession as enabling terrible people in ruining people's lives, I'm quite used to the idea.

:)
Brie

I absolutely was not demeaning your profession! It's funny, but I tried to word my response carefully and still managed to convey a different message than I intended.:S

I know attorneys, have worked for attorneys, and I have an attorney who handled my daughter's adoption that I have nothing but the highest respect for. Heck, I have respect for anyone. who does their job honestly and ethically

I was basically rolling my eyes at the people who do file frivolous lawsuits (with or without hiring an attorney) to try and get money rather than take responsibility for their own actions.

Again, NOT a reference to anyone posting here.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.:|