BrianM

Mindwarp vs Guner vs All Sport

I'm about to order an open face Bonehead helmet, and I'm not sure which one to get. The Mindwarp Pimpdaddy, the Guner, and the All Sport all seem to be quite similar, and all sell for exactly the same price. What are the differences between the three? How do they compare for comfort, quietness, looks?

I'm looking for a basic open face helmet, and I'm not planning on putting any cameras on it (if I ever do start jumping camera I'll get a dedicated helmet) so that is not a concern.

Yes, I did a search, found some (mostly older) discussion about the Mindwarp versus the Guner, nothing about the All Sport.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Well I couldnt really tell you about the gunner or mindwrap but I just got an all-sport and I dont have any complaints. I picked the all sport for one it was a newer design and two you have the option of a camera mount. Its a lot quieter then the protech I was wearing and the head linning and inner ear flaps are removable and they have a secure place for an audible on each side.
I like it

The guner is a different shape than the mindwarp and all sport. Its a lot quieter while in freefall.

The All sport and mindwarp seem to be the same except the liner is different. The ear pads just have different access points to put in your audibles. The mindwarp you have to peel back the pad and slip it through and the all sport is easily accessable from its default padded position. The chin strap is a little different but they fasten the same way.

I have an all sport with some cameras on it and it works excellent.
Na' Cho' Cheese

I emailed the same question to Bonehead Composites and thought I would share their answer here for others who may have the same question.

Basically there is only cosmetic differences. The guner and all sport are symmetrical in looks with the all sport having flatter sides than the guner. The all sport and mindwarp come in 3 shell sizes so the padding is thinner than the guner. The guner comes in 2 shell sizes and size is determined with the amount of padding.

It all boils down to what your personal preference is.

I asked for more info about quietness in freefall and got this:

The all sport is just like the mindwarp so if you want quiet, go with the
guner.

which agrees with what packing_jarret said.

I've narrowed it down to the Guner or the Allsport. So, the Guner is quieter, and by most reports more comfortable. I'm not sure which one looks better; I like the Allsport, haven't seen enough pictures of the Guner to decide. I think I'll probably end up with the Guner as I'd prefer comfort and quietness to looks anyway.

I'm about to order an open face Bonehead helmet, and I'm not sure which one to get. The Mindwarp Pimpdaddy, the Guner, and the All Sport all seem to be quite similar, and all sell for exactly the same price. What are the differences between the three? How do they compare for comfort, quietness, looks?

I'm looking for a basic open face helmet, and I'm not planning on putting any cameras on it (if I ever do start jumping camera I'll get a dedicated helmet) so that is not a concern.

Yes, I did a search, found some (mostly older) discussion about the Mindwarp versus the Guner, nothing about the All Sport.

It all depends on the shape of your head, I had a mindwarp, hated it, it was loud and hurt my head, got and optik, felt the same, the Gunner is great for my head, super comfortable and snug, If you plan on putting a camera on your head, and the gunner is your fit, check the Rawa helmets. they fit me as nice and sweet as a gunner...
I want a helmet that fits like a dream, and that does not require some foam cooking. In my mind, there is nothing better than Rawa.
I have a long head. who cares about carbon fiber, really it's over rated.

Hey, Brian -

I had this question a ways back myself, and did some hands-on research with everything but the All-Sport (as no dealers seem to carry that one in stock). Everything you've been told up 'til now is consistent with what I found. Here's some observations:

1) Noise - I didn't fly the Guner, but I found the Mindwarp pretty darn quiet (of course, my last 2 helmets have been a standard Protec and a snowboarding helmet, so it's easy to see why it seems pretty quiet to me). Nonetheless, it was quiet.

2) Looks - The difference is the little bulge on the sides:

Guner - Has a bulge on both sides, making it smaller at the top and bigger at the ears - has always looked a bit military-esque, for some reason, in my mind.

Mindwarp - One side is flat. The other has the Guner-style bulge (used to allow room for audible pocket on one side, and to attach camera on the other).

All-Sport - redesigned interior liner allows both sides of helmet to be flat, so you can mount a camera on either side and still have room for audibles inside.

All things being the same, I like the looks of the All-Sport better, and since the Mindwarp was plenty quiet & comfy for me, I'd go with the A/S over the Guner if I was spending the $. But the little bulge on the sides of the Guner doesn't seem to bother too many people, so it's really just a matter of if you want a helmet with flat sides (allowing for camera-mount) that is quiet, or if you want a helmet with slightly bulgy sides that is quiet-er.

'luck!

KC
Signatures are the new black.

All-Sport - redesigned interior liner allows both sides of helmet to be flat, so you can mount a camera on either side

FALSE

There is a weird corner on the right side of the mindwarp to disable you from putting a camera on that side. As far as I've seen the mindwarp and all sport's shells are identical. Its the padding that different between the 2 helmets. To fit 2 audible along with my wires and cam-eye, it took lots of cutting out the ear pads so it was even possible. Its still not very comfortable.
Na' Cho' Cheese

There is a weird corner on the right side of the mindwarp to disable you from putting a camera on that side. As far as I've seen the mindwarp and all sport's shells are identical.

My guess is that is actually is flat on both sides. I think that's what BH meant when they told me that "the guner and all sport are symmetrical in looks". Maybe someone who has one can tell us for sure - Jarrett?

All-Sport - redesigned interior liner allows both sides of helmet to be flat, so you can mount a camera on either side

FALSE

There is a weird corner on the right side of the mindwarp to disable you from putting a camera on that side. As far as I've seen the mindwarp and all sport's shells are identical. Its the padding that different between the 2 helmets. To fit 2 audible along with my wires and cam-eye, it took lots of cutting out the ear pads so it was even possible. Its still not very comfortable.

Uh, TRUE

Yes, there's a "corner" on the right side of the Mindwarp that disables you from putting a camera on that side - that's the "bulge" I was talking about in my post above. It's present on both sides of the Guner (hence the lack of optional D-box/L-bracket), and on one side of the Mindwarp. But as I mentioned in my post, the other side of the Mindwarp is flat, allowing you to put a camera box on it (not that that the OP wants to put a camera on it, anyway).

Or are you saying that there's a bulge on the right side of the All-Sport shell, too? Interesting. From what I was told by Bonehead, their shells aren't identical - the All-Sport supposedly got rid of the "corner" you mentioned on the R side of the Mindwarp.

Did you misspeak, or does the All-Sport have the weird corner/bulge shape? You would know better than I would, since you have one...but then someone would need to tell Bonehead to change their marketing copy on their website... ;)

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/allsport.htm

I have an all-sport with the buldge just like the mindwarp does.
Whats interesting is that on Boneheads website I see no buldge in the picture of there's. But mine is an all-sport and it has a buldge just like the mindwarp.

Whoa - that's really funky. Yeah, their website pics and text indicate there's no bulge on the side of the All-Sport, and so did an email I got from them a ways back. Huh. :|

Anyone from BH out there care to comment? Anyone else have an All-Sport with the little bulge on the R side?

Does it matter? There's not much reason to mount a camera on the right side, and I'd recommend a purpose-built camera helmet if you do want to mount a camera... you will likely end up with a huge gap between the camera and the helmet, which is a huge snag point. I prefer a side-mount myself, but most of those helmets give me the heebee geebees.

Dave

In the grand scheme of things, naah, our discussion doesn't really matter when you're talking about adding a camera (though snag points are always a relevant topic).

For me, as someone who doesn't fly camera (and as a designer by trade), I just don't like the looks of the Mindwarp or the Guner. The bulge-y side annoys me, from an aesthetic point of view. (But that's just me being nit-picky.;))

The OP wasn't looking to fly camera with it either, so the looks of the helmet might be an issue for him, too. Maybe he's picky like me, and doesn't dig the asymmetrical thing. Either way, I'm just curious how the All-Sport is so much different from the Mindwarp if it only has a slightly-different liner. That's all.

I opted for the All-Sport. It arrived in today's mail. It does not have a Mindwarp-style bump on the right hand side. Both sides are flat, and it is completely symmetrical.

Now I just have to wait for the weekend so I can jump this thing! B|

I opted for the All-Sport. It arrived in today's mail. It does not have a Mindwarp-style bump on the right hand side. Both sides are flat, and it is completely symmetrical.

Both sides are flat. It is completely symmetrical. Got my All-Sport for Christmas - 1 bake and it fits like a glove! I also can't wait to try it out.
if I could only fly like the birds...

Got my All-Sport for Christmas - 1 bake and it fits like a glove! I also can't wait to try it out.

Mine fits ok as it is. I was going to bake it - the Bonehead FAQ says it should be baked even if it fits well because it will fit even better. I emailed Bonehead with a question about baking it, and they said I should not bake it if it fits well as is. Hmmm....

Both sides are flat. It is completely symmetrical. Got my All-Sport for Christmas - 1 bake and it fits like a glove! I also can't wait to try it out.

Yeah, that's what I had thought...and Bonehead confirmed it via email last week. Looks like you've got a Mindwarp, Jarrett (see above conversation).

So the real question from me is:

...is it as comfortable as the Mindwarp when you pop an audible in it? Anyone done a side-by-side comparison?

...is it as comfortable as the Mindwarp when you pop an audible in it? Anyone done a side-by-side comparison?

I don't have a Mindwarp to compare with, but I have put an audible in my Allsport and tried it out on the ground (I'll get to jump it tomorrow). On the outside of the main foam pad in the ear pieces are two thinner pieces of foam with rectangular cutouts. The audible fits into the cutout, so it doesn't create a bump in the ear piece. I can barely tell it's there, and only because it feels a tad different than the other side, not because it is uncomfortable. It is such a small difference that I am only aware of it if I think about it. If I ignore it I don't notice it at all. It is quite comfortable with the audible in place. Same thing with two audibles, it feels just a tiny bit different and is quite comfortable.

BTW I am trying this with a ProTrack and a ProDytter. I'll try it with others on the weekend if I can find any to borrow, but I think my DZ is mainly a ProTrack crowd.

I don't have a Mindwarp to compare with, but I have put an audible in my Allsport and tried it out on the ground (I'll get to jump it tomorrow). On the outside of the main foam pad in the ear pieces are two thinner pieces of foam with rectangular cutouts. The audible fits into the cutout, so it doesn't create a bump in the ear piece. I can barely tell it's there, and only because it feels a tad different than the other side, not because it is uncomfortable. It is such a small difference that I am only aware of it if I think about it. If I ignore it I don't notice it at all. It is quite comfortable with the audible in place. Same thing with two audibles, it feels just a tiny bit different and is quite comfortable.

BTW I am trying this with a ProTrack and a ProDytter. I'll try it with others on the weekend if I can find any to borrow, but I think my DZ is mainly a ProTrack crowd.

Thanks, Brian!

Yeah, that's my only hesitation in grabbing an All-Sport now: that the Mindwarp and Guner are SO darn comfortable. :)