feuergnom

Strong Y-mod & what you think about it

As some of you might have noticed Strong came up with a modification their passenger harness.
Obviously a reaction to the last tandem fatality.

On the positive side: With this modification the chance of a passenger slipping out of a harness is eliminated.
BUT: The problem wouldn't have to be solved if TI's were dressing up their students properly in the first place :|. and i bet I'll still see sloppy geared up passengers in the company of variously rated TI's this summer

Now for the "negative" side: With this fix lard-assed people won't fit into the harness, thus no more extreme overweight passengers

so what do you think about it?
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

... i bet I'll still see sloppy geared up passengers in the company of variously rated TI's this summer

Now for the "negative" side: With this fix lard-assed people won't fit into the harness, thus no more extreme overweight passengers

Sloppy dressing... unfortunatley your likely right. I hope I'm wrong, but.... :(

As to those who won't fit in the harness. I have never agreed with "everyone should try it once..." NO, not everyone should go. When is it that we decide someone is too big?

200-lbs OK
500-lbs No
Ok... so where is the line? That's called judgement. But it MUST NOT be affected by money or friendship. That's called maturity and professionalism.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

so UPT came up with something similar?

They did, field replaceable, and it has a bungee type retractor that allows it to move downward slightly during deployment.

Doesn't compromise safely but according to Bill Booth, lessens the possibility of spinal compression.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

As some of you might have noticed Strong came up with a modification their passenger harness.
Obviously a reaction to the last tandem fatality.

On the positive side: With this modification the chance of a passenger slipping out of a harness is eliminated.

Only if the harness was properly adjusted.

BUT: The problem wouldn't have to be solved if TI's were dressing up their students properly in the first place :|. and i bet I'll still see sloppy geared up passengers in the company of variously rated TI's this summer

What I think is that with the extra Y strap, someone (first time jumper) walking to the plane with an improperly adjusted harness, with some dangling webbing between their legs will ask 'Is this the way it's supposed to be? It does not seem right?'

The accident in Ohio was a pax falling out above the lower back lateral. If that lateral is not properly fastened, the pax can still fall out even with a Y connector.

So I think the best benefit of the extra Y connector may be to help pax recognize an unsafe situation and ask about it.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

walking to the plane with an improperly adjusted harness, with some dangling webbing between their legs will ask 'Is this the way it's supposed to be? It does not seem right?'

passengers didn't mind in the past, they don't mind now & they won't mind in the future.... [:/]

to help pax recognize an unsafe situation and ask about it.

been there done that. just to be told to mind my own fuckin business.
now we have a solution to a problem that wouldn't exist if some TI's had a different attitude ("I'm a mean mofo of a meathauler, ya know?....... :S) towards their students/passengers and towards safety issues beyond getting stable with the help of their drogue :|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Structurally, the strength of the Y-Mod is that it is fully integrated into the passenger harness. It's not just sewn to the edge of the back pad and the edge of the leg straps. It is Type-8 webbing that runs from the rear of the shoulder webbing (inside the back pad), exiting the bottom of the pad, and is then sewn through the leg strap webbing.

I (6'0" tall, 190lbs) have approximately 100 jumps as passenger with the Y-Mod and have never had an uncomfortable canopy deployment or canopy ride with it. We did a tremendous amount of field testing during the summer/fall of 2006 before releasing our press release on it, including all shapes and sizes of passengers, and we received back unanimous positive feedback from our instructors and passengers alike.

If anyone is interested in what it looks like, we have pictures on our website at: www.strongparachutes.com just click on "PRESS RELEASE DHT Y-MOD"

With a properly fitted harness, the Y-Mod has no job to do. It exists to prevent an improperly fitted harness from posing a safety risk to our future passengers.

if I can answer any specific questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 407-859-9317.

Regards,

Tom Noonan
Tandem Director
Strong Enterprises

If anyone is interested in what it looks like, we have pictures on our website at: www.strongparachutes.com just click on "PRESS RELEASE DHT Y-MOD"

OOPs. Sorry I did not know it was attached to the backpad too.
But I do now.

PS Ted is giving DJan and me a tour on the 19th. Make sure we see that up close and personal.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Bump & Update

Just last weekend i had the opportunity to use & jump with y-mod equipped passenger-harnesses.
handling and fitting is easy (in fact a no-brainer), the only difference is how the pax can move once the canopy is open. with the old setup you could tell your pax to move their legs slightly backward enabling them to sit more comfortably, with the y-mod this isn't possibly any more...

dudeist skydiver # 666