Stumpy

PC Backup Help

I want to backup my pc onto an external hard drive for safety, Primarily my photos but my documents would be nice to do as well. Is there a smarter way to do it rather than just copy and pasting files? some software that maybe checks for new stuff in designated drive locations for new files and picks them up each time i plug in?

Thanks

Dave

Edited to add - and any manufacturers of drives particularly good?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I want to backup my pc onto an external hard drive for safety, Primarily my photos but my documents would be nice to do as well. Is there a smarter way to do it rather than just copy and pasting files? some software that maybe checks for new stuff in designated drive locations for new files and picks them up each time i plug in?

Thanks

Dave

Edited to add - and any manufacturers of drives particularly good?

I'm a big fan of Seagate, but Maxtor makes some decent external drives with very easy backup options.

they come packaged with the appropriate software?

thanks

IIRC,

The Maxtor includes software, and I believe they have a "One-Touch" backup feature they advertise.

I picked up a 300GB USB Maxtor external for 139$ a few weeks ago at the local Fry's store.

If you have an eSATA port, I'd recommend picking up one of the big Seagate eSATA external HD's. If you're backing up large amounts, the SATA interface is going to be a bit quicker than the standard IDE drives.

;)

Seagate makes an excellent external hard drive primarily used for laptops. I have 2 120 gig models one for my laptop and one for my desktop. They include Bounce-Back Express software from CMS Software that actually can be used with any brand hard drive and you have a choice what you back up. I presently back up my main (C) hard drive on both machines. The software is very easy to use. The drive has to be reformatted to the NTFS File system if you are using Windows XP but that is easy to do.

I bought these drives after I had a hard drive failure on my 6 yr old Dell and had to take about a day finding all my backup CD's for my photos and music etc. and re-installing everything. Seagate also makes External Hard Drives that kind of stan up on your desk that have an on off switch and other features.

One warning though if you own a DELL. From a variety of computer forums, The Maxtor external drives do not work very well with DELL's.

In summary, I have not had any problems with these little Seagate drives and am totally happy with them and their ease of use.

Chris

I think Dell has a sale on some Western Digital external HDs that plug right in to your USB. 80-120GB for about $100 IIRC. That makes it as easy as "click-n-drag".
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!