Yossarian

Putting a solo in a protec

ive just bought a brand spanking new audible and mounted it in my protec with the wax-tape that comes with the audible but for me not to have to reinstall it everytime i jump i have to mount it with the display facing inwards is this ok? or is the speaker on the other side? i used it for the first time today but it was only a hop'n'pop so the wind-noise wasnt that loud, and it wasnt as loud as i expected it to be

Only way to find out for sure is to try it, but my guess is it won't be loud enough.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wax-tape". I don't have a solo, but I do have a ProTrack and a ProDytter that I put in a Protec. I sewed a pouch for it that velcros closed and also velcros into the helmet. Quick and easy to install and remove, and protects the audible from scratches. I posted some photos a while back here:

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1774297;#1774297
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I have a protec and use a Protrack. I made a little cloth bag (thin material) that velcros shut and the protrack fits neatly in it. On the outside of the little bag is velcro. I have the other 1/2 of the velcro in both ear holes of the protec, so I can velcro it into either ear.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My version of the bag is spandex. Hook velcro sticking up from the mouth on one side and pile on the other. I just wrap the velcro around the padding above the ear and mate. At times I've just had it on a foot long tether tied to the helmet. This just keeps it from hitting the ground. Just stick in the ear pocket. IF you have a Protec with bars across the ear.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

cheers, not much of a beast with the old needle and thread but ill have a go...

If you aren't able to do it by yourself, try asking your rigger for assistance... or your mother! B|

the wax tape was like a very very thin shoelace length type stuff covered in wax

Sounds like supertack.

I've got a Solo in my ProTec. I also mounted it on the inside, speaker facing out. I can hear it no problem at all. I first had it mounted on the outside, speaker facing in, but it was too load and I was also told that with it on the outside, there was a good chance it would get knocked off and I would loose it.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I have a Solo mounted inward facing inside my Velocity helmet. I've been jumping it for over 9 months, now, and I've never had a problem hearing it in freefall. I even flew with it inside SkyVenture Arizona one time and forgot to turn it off and had no trouble hearing it over the noise of the wind tunnel going at sit-fly speeds - much to my annoyance.

I'd say try it out on a higher jump, but the thing is loud.

you can mount it very securely using one standard bungee picked up off the floor.

Lay the bungee flat -across- the ear slots. Feed each end of the bungee 'into' the helmet through the slots 'furthest apart'...and voila, inside your helmet you not have 2 elastic loops poking through to hold your audible in. So it's inside the helmet (might need to chew some foam out) and held in by the bungee.

It's not cool, but it works just fine. Tape over all the holes in the protec. It'll look less g.a.y, your ears will be warmer and you'll hear the beeps better. :)

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Lay the bungee flat -across- the ear slots. Feed each end of the bungee 'into' the helmet through the slots 'furthest apart'...and voila, inside your helmet you not have 2 elastic loops poking through to hold your audible in.

I used to do that, but made the pouch I mentioned earlier in this thread because the screen was getting scratched up by the slots on the helmet earpiece.