pinkfairy

Sewing jumpsuit?

Well, maybe this should be moved to the bonfire along with the waffle threads, but:

My sewing machine sews straight through thick velcro! And there are shops that sells lots of different types of fabric close to where I live.

Good idea to sew my own jumpsuit?

I was thinking of a freefly suit with only a little drag, so the others don't just fall away from me. ("help! wait!, stop, stop! where are you going?")

Anything in particular I have to keep in mind, except that it has to be solid, not too baggy and free of snag points?

Anyone who has any good patterns or tutorials that they want to share?

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Sure, it is a great idea. You will learn a lot. I recommend you get some E-thread, and a #18 needle.

It will be a great learning experience, and you can modify it after you figure some things out. Just borrow someone's jumpsuit to look at for ideas, and go for it.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

The e thread and needle size are great. Also remember to buy some good material. The one dollar walmart speicail is just that. If you want it to hold up under all the jumps it should be of better quality.

reinforce those areas subject to ware (knees etc.. with a layer of extra material.

ive made jumps suits in one piece and two piece models. On the seams be sure to tri fold them when ever possable and reinforce with another row of stich about one eigth apart.

hope this helps....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

So it's quite hard, then?

I'll look at the thread. I use an ordinary nylon thread, Gutermann, for other things that I make, but I'll probably have to use something tougher for a jumpsuit.

Anything catastrophic that I should by all means not do?

I'm planning on keeping it simple, without a lot of pockets and stuff.

It isn't hard, but if you are learning to sew, there are things you will learn by doing, and part of that is making mistakes, or doing things the hard way, before you figure out the easy way. Make some simple things such as logbook cases, helmet bags, etc. in addition to jumpsuits.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

you can definitely sew on your own jumpsuit.. don't be freaked out that it's a jumpsuit, it's just clothing! it does happen to go 120 mph so you have to use good thread. what you need is type 69 bonded nylon E thread... you can search for it and buy it on line or buy a roll from your local rigger... you'll need a larger needle for your home machine. go to a sewing machine store and ask for a size 17 or 18 needle that will fit your machine and then look at how the rest of the suit is sewed and copy those comventions... be sure to back stitch at the end of your stitch lines or over sew and you should be okay.

Tom

[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

Thanks!

I'll research tri fold seams.

I've only made dresses and aprons and things like that before, nothing made to withstand 120 mph.

I'll ask my friend to lend me his jumpsuit. I'm sure he won't need it while he has his reserve repacked.

Well, the jumpsuits have to come from somewhere. Someone at some point designed them, and not surprisingly those people were skydivers.

Would be fun to see how different fabrics affect my fall rate but some of the synthetic fabrics I have are really flammable, so definetely not those:-)

Thanks!

I'll research tri fold seams.

I've only made dresses and aprons and things like that before, nothing made to withstand 120 mph.

I'll ask my friend to lend me his jumpsuit. I'm sure he won't need it while he has his reserve repacked.

Well, the jumpsuits have to come from somewhere. Someone at some point designed them, and not surprisingly those people were skydivers.

Would be fun to see how different fabrics affect my fall rate but some of the synthetic fabrics I have are really flammable, so definetely not those:-)

Every time you jump you place a big backpack full of flammable fabric on your back...unless the fabric is made from gunpowder, I wouldn't worry about it. Thats not to mention the folks who do wingsuit jumps who wear nylon all over their bodies...

Cheers,
Travis

Aaaaaaah!

Panic!

lol!

We had a harder time getting the old PD 9-cell to burn, even soaked in jet fuel, than I have getting a snippet of "I dunno what it's made from, but it's definetely not silk like they said it was"-fabric to burn. So I suppose the parachutes are treated with some kind of anti-flammable stuff. But salt is antiflammable, and this old canopy was probably covered in old sweat... packer's sweat.

Yeah, we burned it so no one would fly it again. Nice canopy, no flare.