kevin922

LCD TV + Computer resolution help

OKay,

So I'm almost there - i bought the sharp 42d62u LCD tv, bought the HDMI cable, Bought the DVI to HDMI adapter.. yada yada. Plugging into a ati radeon 9700.

2 Issues

Big #1 - quality on the LCD looks like crap. i've played around with different resolution settings, different hertz rates, etc.. no success. Any tips?

#2 - How can I NOT extend my desktop? The TV and computer are in different rooms.. so i'd like for the same desktop to appear on both screens. Right now it is "extending" my desktop so on the tv I don't see any icons, don't see a task bar, etc.

Thanks !!

Try resolution of 1920 x 1080

Check settings tab of display properties - should see something like 'extend my desktop onto this monitor' and uncheck it.

Yeah when I uncheck it, the LCD turns black. also i tried the 1920 x 1080 with no success. still looks horrible. almost 16-bitish (though it is set to 32)

Edited because it's late and I'm stupid:
The primary monitor just takes a checkmark. I'm not sure why the one would go dark when you unselect 'extend my monitor' -- do they both show your computer startup/xp logo when you first turn it on? A video driver uninstall/reinstall might be in order.

For picture quality, check out http://www.avsforum.com/ and see what others are using for your model. Most of the time you're going to want to crank the sharpness on your tv down. Make sure you have the latest video drivers, blah blah blah. I've also heard good things about Power Strip (if it supports your card) for getting the best picture out of your new toy. http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

From your description it seems likely that your HDMI cable is not seated correctly, it is digital and a pin or two not connecting right can lose you a lot of quality and make it look worse than 16 bit.

Test with the analog output just to confirm you have a high quality desktop, then try reseating the HDMI, if it doesn't work try a different cable.

It is a 1080p tv right?

Have you tried it at 1280x720 just to see if it'd work?

Oh it works, it just looks horrible.. and my def of horrible may be different than others.. things are readable, the screen is "stable" (not jittery) it just looks like an old VGA resolution.. looking over some of the other postings on avsforum it appears this software wildblue recommended might help so when I get back home i'll try that.