legalize1966

S&TA Appointments

Sure they can, and I recall that they have.

Imagine a DZ that is not a group member, but has jumpers that want to have a USPA connection for licenses etc.. If USPA can't find a qualified local jumper to serve as S&TA at that DZ, they might appoint somebody at a nearby DZ.

The regional director defines the area of authority for an S&TA, and can make it for several DZ's, or none, or just part of a specific DZ.

I know of at least one S&TA who was appointed for a region, and another who was appointed for a specific demo site which wasn't a DZ at all. The whole point of the S&TA position is to create a bridge between jumpers and USPA, and that take many forms.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

And the RD/USPA has the ability to appoint "At Large" S&TA's and use them for a DZ with no qualified Individuals (this may be more aplicable to the OP) or as the catch all for a DZ missed.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I know jumpers want access to an S&TA.
But if a DZO is not willing to become a member for any reason, should that same DZ have access to USPA ammenities?
It is a choice for jumpers to jump at a non GM,
so it is not like they wouldn't know they won't have access to an S&TA and all the other things that go with being a GM.
It seems counter productive from USPA's point of view.
Knowing that a DZ is not affiliated with the National governing body may make a difference to some tandem students, and shouldn't GM's get that advantage as well as every other one since they pay for it?
USPA should be for USPA.
If your not, don't expect the benefits.
JMHO,
tom
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

From http://uspa.org/USPAMembers/Safety/SafetyTrainingAdvisors/tabid/80/Default.aspx

USPA Regional Directors appoint Safety & Training Advisors at each drop zone. Among their volunteer duties, S&TAs provide advice and training for many extraordinary jumps, verify rating renewal requirements and issue license tests. They may be called upon to investigate skydiving accidents and report safety problems and violations.

The S&TA is the USPA member's direct link to the Regional Director and USPA Headquarters. If you have a safety concern or question about anything related to skydiving, your S&TA is probably the best place to start looking for answers. If he doesn’t know the answer to your question, he will likely know where to find it or who to call for an answer.

Notice that says USPA member, not USPA group member. S&TAs are there for the individual jumpers, not the dropzones.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know jumpers want access to an S&TA.
But if a DZO is not willing to become a member for any reason, should that same DZ have access to USPA ammenities?
It is a choice for jumpers to jump at a non GM,
so it is not like they wouldn't know they won't have access to an S&TA and all the other things that go with being a GM.
It seems counter productive from USPA's point of view.
Knowing that a DZ is not affiliated with the National governing body may make a difference to some tandem students, and shouldn't GM's get that advantage as well as every other one since they pay for it?
USPA should be for USPA.
If your not, don't expect the benefits.
JMHO,
tom

I've been previously been S&TA at a non-group member DZ and I'm currently S&TA at a group member DZ. You know what the difference is between the two DZs, from a safety & training perspective? Not one damn thing. If it were my call, my current DZ would spend that $400/year on something that had a bigger impact on safety than the GM program does...say, ergonomic seats in the plane or something. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I think we have gotten away from the S&TA being a safety nazi and moved on to them being in the chain of administration and paper work.
We have all seen things go on at a dz that an S&TA should get involved in but doesn't because they make money or want that prestige of being an S&TA and don't want to piss off the DZO.
I know not all are like that but some are.
How about when a DZO is an S&TA.
Some conflict of interest can come up.
Being a GM should be about helping skydiving as a group. I have heard an awful lot about abandoning the program but I do not believe this would be in all of our best interests. We need to find a way to make the program work, for safety's sake.
lt

Being a GM should be about helping skydiving as a group. I have heard an awful lot about abandoning the program but I do not believe this would be in all of our best interests. We need to find a way to make the program work, for safety's sake.
lt

What does the GM program have to do with safety? Anything worth doing at a group member dropzone is equally worth doing at a non-group member dropzone. Simply put, the program isn't about safety.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Can we stay on topic? Geeze no wonder the idiots at the DZ complain about this site so much.

What would be the point of having an idividual appointed as S&TA that does not even come to the GM DZ? If one used the "its for the Jumpers" argument this would seem to be a dumb move by the RD as the Jumpers would not even see the S&TA. So essentially there is no S&TA at the DZ.

Why do this?

Seperating the landing areas is an area group members have agreed to abide by. While it may be a good idea a non GM does not have to comply with it to satisfy a GMship.
So I see that as pertaining to safety.
And this goes directly to appointing someone who does not go to the dz they were appointed to.
At least it is a GM. Wouldn't it be even sillier to appoint one to a non GM and then have them not show up?
See, we didn't hijack this thread, just made it more interesting.
lt

Seperating the landing areas is an area group members have agreed to abide by. While it may be a good idea a non GM does not have to comply with it to satisfy a GMship.
So I see that as pertaining to safety.
And this goes directly to appointing someone who does not go to the dz they were appointed to.
At least it is a GM. Wouldn't it be even sillier to appoint one to a non GM and then have them not show up?
See, we didn't hijack this thread, just made it more interesting.
lt

Like I said, if it's worth doing at a GM DZ, it's worth doing at a non GM DZ. In my experience, dedication to safety (e.g. seperating landing areas) has zero relevance to whether a dropzone pays USPA a group member fee each year.

And to the topic at hand, I could see appointing an S&TA who sometimes jumps at a particular dropzone, but not one who never or nearly never jumps there. If the latter is the case, politics are likely at play.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

You wanted to make this public and now you talk in riddles.
For the people that may know the sitch ok,
but for the rest of us you make no sense.
Do you know what is going on Matt?
Could you fill in the rest of us?
Do we want to know?
lt

I think he came here to complain like many do and he did not ge tthe support he wanted.

The DZ he jumps at has gone through another move and it's S&TA did not move with it. The RD told the DZ to use the "At Large" nearby, they never called and never would have any way. The DZ in its new location now has a new S&TA. The tw oS&TA's have a very close relationship, so I see no change in how the S&TA will work with the DZ.

I think he and the DZ got what they wanted, just didn't have the patience to wait for it to happen.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I think he came here to complain like many do and he did not ge tthe support he wanted.

The DZ he jumps at has gone through another move and it's S&TA did not move with it. The RD told the DZ to use the "At Large" nearby, they never called and never would have any way. The DZ in its new location now has a new S&TA. The tw oS&TA's have a very close relationship, so I see no change in how the S&TA will work with the DZ.

I think he and the DZ got what they wanted, just didn't have the patience to wait for it to happen.

Matt

That is funny.

But you know that Mike kept things from being worse than they where.

If I understand this correctly, Suzie Paiser got appointed as S&TA for the AST backup plan, (Waverly). The question that I have is this, is this the same "Suzie" that recently married Mike Paiser? If she is, it appears that they will burn Waverly just as they have at the other three airports. If information serves me correctly, Mike Paiser is the S&TA that allowed the night tandems with wuffos, the jumps where up-jumpers and/or camera guys would hang from the tandems, allow alcohol consumption before the beer lite and against airport policy, allowing jumping on cloudy days, (ie; videos I posted recently) and amongst other issues, can't seem to be able to throw the drogue while face to earth, instead, uses it to get stable to make up for his deficiencies as a TI? All of these issues lead to their demise in Clarksville. They want to blame others, but they did it to themselves.
If this is the case, they won't last long at Waverly either.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Yes they are married why do you think I laughed at matthew's "close relationship" comment?

Mike didn't allow them to do night tandems he made them safer. the Chuck and the DZ was going to do night tandem jumps any way and if Mike didn't set up the lights they would have been done in total darkness. He made it safer for Jeff, Josh, etc etc.

Again the DZ is SAFER when Mike is the S&TA! With out him the place would have been a mess. If you think the DZ's Staff is Childish and Unproffesional here on this web site or with mike, watch them with out adult suppervision!

matthewcline NEVER came to the DZ and never would, even when invited! So USPA trying to hide under the "At Large S&TA" was just setting up the DZ to be called unsafe.

With out him the place would have been a mess.

Apparently it was a mess, why else did they get kicked out of Clarksville?

matthewcline NEVER came to the DZ and never would, even when invited!

From what I understood, Matt was barred from the DZ by Mike.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!