Cashmanimal

Voodoo and Spectre Duo

First of all, I would like to say hello to everybody, as I have finally decided to start posting on the forums, and actually register with the site. I have been reading the forums for a few months now, just never had the need to post...

Now down to business. I have been in the sport since about April, and have progressed relatively quickly, due to amazing instruction and lots of help. My first rig was a Vector II with a Sabre 190, PD 176R. It was converted to BOC, and had the velcro replaced.

The rig worked perfectly for me for my first 50 or so jumps. Then, I moved out to California to go to college, and left my small but familiar DZ. Going from an altitude of 5500 ft above sea level to sea level was a slight change but nothing too spectacular. However, jumping bigger, faster planes, longer freefall and being surrounded by freeflyers eventually led to the need for a new rig. I have been wanting to get a little more serious about freeflying, but the velcro riser covers and exposed bridle were setting me back... I have been told too many scary stories. I borrowed many rigs to test with varying canopy sizes, all of which were Sabre II's.

I recently purchased the rig that seemed best for me. I weigh 190-195 with gear, and am 6'0". I purchased a Voodoo V-4 harness/container, a Spectre 150, and a PD160 reserve, as Rigging Innovations said it would fit best in the container. I was stuck between buying a Sabre II 170, or the Spectre. I eventually went with the Spectre, as i have been jumping 150's in California, but will also be traveling home, where I am told the 150 will be nice to me, a little more docile than a Sabre II 150, but I will be able to push it if i want to. Basically, a compramise, as i would probably replace the 170 sooner than I will be replacing the 150. I hope to have it for quite a while, as downsizing is nothing I am really set out to do in a big hurry.

-Sigh- (sorry for the long post). Anyway, I wanted to hear from anybody who had any true complaints or advice on any of these components. I have read the praise and believe most of it, however, there are two sides to (most) every story.

I had the pleasure of jumping a voodoo container this weekend, and must say that it was marvelous. It was so comfortable, I felt secure, and I have never been so comfortable under canopy. I was caught in a sticky situation, since obviously most of my jumping was done here at sea level, but i also travel home and jump there, where the canopy characteristics will be much different. I have unfortunately not yet had the (hopefully) pleasure of jumping a 7-cell canopy, but understand all that I can from reading how different it will be.

Thanks for tolerating and hopefully reading this ridiculously long post. Promise future posts will be more under control, haha!
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Uhhh... what was the question?

Are you looking for opinions on your choice of canopy? Or your choice of canopy size? Or your choice of container?

I can almost guarantee one of those subjects is likely to elicit opinions you don't want to hear.

As for the only one I have thoughts on ... I jumped a Spectre for about 200 jumps. It's a great canopy and I don't think you'll hear a lot of bad things about it. It opens pillow-soft and is very forgiving of less-than-perfect pack jobs and less-than-perfect body position.

There's a lot of opinions about 7 cell vs 9 cell (and searching the forums will get you lots of results), but you know what they say about opinions, but utimately it just comes down to personal preference. After 200 jumps on a 7-cell I moved to a 9-cell and I find I prefer it. But that's just me, lots of others prefer 7 cells or don't have a strong preference.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I wanted to hear from anybody who had any true complaints or advice on any of these components. I have read the praise and believe most of it, however, there are two sides to (most) every story.
!

Just looking for any advice, pointers, secrets or complaints anybody has on any of the particular components that may apply to me. I know everything will be different for anybody, but looking for things to onsider when I do start jumping this rig.

Things such as, "My spectre has a much deeper stall point than my Sabre," or anything that may apply in that respect. It doesn't have to be THAT similar, haha.

Mainly things people who use these components have found, such as tips and tricks, or things they dislike, love.......
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

haha... okay, yeah, I already bought it. But this isn't a, "I can't decide between..." thing, it's an, "I already bought it, any advice from those who already have it?" thread.

Perhaps an example is in order: I am not asking: Should I buy the Chevy Camaro, or the Ford Mustang?

I am asking: I bought a Chevy Camaro... any advice on how to make the seats more comfortable? Does it feel faster if I add.... does it handle better if i do....

Aside from the super-long initial post, I thought it made sense, haha. Maybe not, i don't know. (I would have bought the Camaro, by the way)

haha... okay, yeah, I already bought it. But this isn't a, "I can't decide between..." thing, it's an, "I already bought it, any advice from those who already have it?" thread.

Good canopy type choice - I used to have a Spectre and loved it.

Advice? Take care - that is a fairly aggressive wingloading for your experience - but I'm sure you knew that...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Skydiving has moved beyond the days of modifying surplus military gear for better performance. The Spectre is an outstanding wing as it was designed so what you need to do now is learn to fly it. It is easy to exceed your experience level after a few or even a few hundred successful landings. As soon as you think you know it all your guard slips and things get really dangerous. Good luck, be safe and have fun.

Oh, and be selective where you get advice from. Stick to people you know and trust. Some really well intentioned people can put you in mortal danger in this sport.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."