Gawain

Intel and Nokia Call it Quits in Wireless 3G Chipsets

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/14/nokia-and-intel-call-it-quits-on-hsdpa-laptop-module/

I don't know how many of you are wireless junkies out there. Verizon Wireless' Broadband access is pretty good (sometimes as fast as 2Mbps). HSDPA (which would've been with Cingular/AT&T and a lesser version of it is rolled out right now) which is being rolled out in Europe (right?) promises to hold some real speed as it evolves (up to 7Mbps).

Anyway.....:|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What foreign language was all that?

It's something propeller-hat-wearing guys would understand...:P:D
Make light!

Why would you want 3G built into your laptop? All you need is Bluetooth and then you can connect to your mobile wirelessly.

I don't want to have to buy a new laptop because I decide to change carriers. [:/]
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Why would you want 3G built into your laptop? All you need is Bluetooth and then you can connect to your mobile wirelessly.

I don't want to have to buy a new laptop because I decide to change carriers. [:/]

The biggest impact about this is the fact that GSM is the most widely used wireless platform in the world. The fact that the biggest chip maker in the world, and the biggest phone maker in the world (with an expertise in GSM technology) didn't think they could pull it off is quite a development.

Bluetooth has a range of a few meters, 802.11x is good for an enterprise environment (WLAN), this had the makings for a true WWAN environment. Hmmm...
Make light!

Can I get a little help from billvon maybe?

He works for Qualcomm. When it comes to 3G you won't get much help from them - they've caused a ridiculous amount of problems with regards to licensing some of the basic patents they own that cover W-CDMA. There's lawsuits flying left, right, and centre, and a proposed EU investigation into Qualcomm's failure to licence the patents in question on reasonable, non-discriminatory terms.

It's only silly US CDMA networks that have that problem.

HSDPA (3.6Mbps) is a development of W-CDMA (~384kbps), which is the successor to GSM (bugger-all kbps). These are the standards used pretty much everywhere in the world bar the USA, South Korea, and Japan. Devices such as phones and modems have a SIM card that plugs into them. The SIM card provides your identity to the network. If you change carriers, you just need to get a new SIM card. SIM cards are basically free.

So, you wouldn't need a new laptop. You'd just need to change a little card that's about twice the size of a fingernail.