BillyVance

Tech help with computer???

Can anybody tell me how to make this fucking pop-up error message stop??? It keeps popping up, no matter what I do. :|

FYI, this is not a joke email, it's serious, for once anyway! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have spysweeper and McAfee, but not Norton...

This started when I set up the new update from Spysweeper... first time it happened... damn bastards...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm no expert, but it seemed like that was kinda common before I realized my 'puter was infected with viruses and spyware, the anti-everything software I thought would keep me safe wasn't worth shit.

Best backup your stuff quick while you can, then clean that shit out with some experienced help.

Good luck.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

This started when I set up the new update from Spysweeper... first time it happened... damn bastards...

I have spysweeper, no problems at all, seems very good.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You may have to re-install McAfee, spysweeper, or both. :) Common.

Can also happen when using long file names in RTF format(over 42c).

Try to run Win update again. Look for security update 873333. If any doubts, go to microsoft knowledge base, and do a search. Also look for 894194.

This can also be related to the DST Microsoft patch....

Hope this helps. :)

Yves.

Can anybody tell me how to make this fucking pop-up error message stop??? It keeps popping up, no matter what I do. :|

FYI, this is not a joke email, it's serious, for once anyway! :P

What I would do at this point is run a Windows repair. That'll restore original windows files and will take care of a lot of spyware corruption. (this saves a lot of time compared to screwing around trying to figure out the issue(s).

Then install all Windows updates, enable the Windows firewall, and don't use anti-spyware apps (they're al pretty useless)... just use a good antivirus prog such as free avast.com. Maybe try Windows Defender... I've heard mixed reviews of it... I think it's free though.

How to run windows repair: Insert Windows CD into your optical drive. Reboot. Boot from the CD. You'll be presented with an option: Repair or do a fresh install.... choose install (not Repair). Keep going and after a couple more steps, you'll see a message "A previous installation of Windows has been found.. would you like to repair it?" Choose Yes at this point .. repair. From this point on it's straightforward. The key here is to ignore the first repair option, then choose yes for the second one (silly Microsoft logic)

Chris

How can you recommend to not use anti-spyware?

When I run mine, it will find a few things every couple days. I wouldn't want those to pile up.

How can you recommend to not use anti-spyware?

When I run mine, it will find a few things every couple days. I wouldn't want those to pile up.

Because IE7 has built-in phishing filter, and has better defense against spyware than IE6 did. The simple setup has been working for me... I've been running it for the last year with no issues.

If you'd like additional spyware protection, you can still get Windows Defender from MS for free... it's fairly unobtrusive:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Chris

Update:

The problem seems to have miraculously fixed itself. Most likely Microsoft got the error messages and sent a fix. Ain't technology grand? B|