More on pet food recall

My wife and I are one of those pet freak families that home cooks for our dogs. Besides the once a week cooking day, which simply involves a pressure cooker and a blender...the cost of home cooking is actually less expensive than a midgrade dog food. Our dogs skin and coats improved, and becuase the food is easier to digest...they actully pooped less! It really amazes me what people will feed thier pets, but then again, two days ago in the grocery store I walked by this overweight 2 year old sitting in a cart, eating a powdered donut and he had soda in his bottle...I kid you not.

Making your own food is a good idea. It looks like the company that made the bad food used wheat gluten that was contaminated with a rodenticide that is not approved for use in the US. The food maker is in Canada, but my guess is that the gluten vendor is not located in either country.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Making your own food is a good idea. It looks like the company that made the bad food used wheat gluten that was contaminated with a rodenticide that is not approved for use in the US. The food maker is in Canada, but my guess is that the gluten vendor is not located in either country.

from south park...."blam canada...blame canada!!"

...then again, two days ago in the grocery store I walked by this overweight 2 year old sitting in a cart, eating a powdered donut and he had soda in his bottle...I kid you not.

And we as Americans still have the audacity(or is it stupidity??) to wonder why so many children are obese...
Someday Never Comes

Just back from my monthly load-up on cat supplies; at the two stores I went to, the recalled items are off the shelves. The items that remain on the shelves have not been involved in the recall.

This is a horrible thing...and so sad to hear of the deaths of beloved friends, however it happens. But for it to be rodenticide poisoning, that's just awful.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

My dog became violently ill a few months ago, and we came pretty close to losing him. We have never fed the dogs generic food, but the cat food is generic. I remember him getting into the cat food that night. I wonder if that is what caused him to get so sick. He came down with pancreatitis, and praise God I have a natural cure for it. If I didn't, he would have died.

The vet was amazed he pulled through.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Your little puppy, yes, I remember.

What kind of food was it? If it was dry, it's not the issue. And the pancreatitis is not one of the "known" symptoms, but who knows, it being rodenticide and all. Poisoning is poisoning...and liver and kidney functions are almost always the main target if it isn't a "caustic" contaminant (i.e. anti freeze, et cetera).

Although, cat food is NOT for dogs, and vice versa. I know of a person who fed her cat dog food, and always wondered why the kitty was sick. :S There are reasons it's separate; the needs of dogs and kitties, while similar, do not lend themselves to long term different species food.

Ciels-
Michele

We don't feed out dogs cat food. He got INTO the cat food on his own. Dachshunds (and probably most dogs) are a little mischievious that way.

It probably wasn't the dog/cat food, as we don't buy wet food. I actually think he also got into the ham we had that night. We don't feed our dogs table food either. We have since stopped eating pork all together, but I remember the vet mentioning he could have been poisoned from it. Something about the chemicals used to process it. I don't doubt that one bit.

I sure feel for the people who lost their pets. That is so painful.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

My dog became violently ill a few months ago, and we came pretty close to losing him. We have never fed the dogs generic food, but the cat food is generic. I remember him getting into the cat food that night. I wonder if that is what caused him to get so sick. He came down with pancreatitis, and praise God I have a natural cure for it. If I didn't, he would have died.

The vet was amazed he pulled through.

It does not matter if it is generic food. All of the "top" brands are included in the recall. Friskies seems to be one of the few excluded brands.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

We don't feed out dogs cat food. He got INTO the cat food on his own. Dachshunds (and probably most dogs) are a little mischievious that way.

Kathleen, I didn't mean that you did. I just know that some people do...and it's a bad thing for them. Sorry that you might've thought that I was directing my comments at you; 'twasn't intended, and I apologize if that was upsetting to you. I know you love your pups, and that you are a great pet mama.

As for the ham, it's one of the most difficult things to digest; the stuff they use to cure it can really be hard on the animal's bellies - the salts, nitrites, and so on tend to make it really, really bad for them.

And yes, dogs do get mischievious. And so do cats. :D

Ciels-
Michele

One thing that really bugs the crap out of me about the recall is the fact that most news reports implied that it is only a rpoblem with "store brand" food like WalMart, Krogers, etc. The recall inludes Iams, NutroMax, Eukanuba, etc. Just because one believes they are feeding their pets the hottest designer food does not imply that it is made in a special factory to special standards. See: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

-NickDG

I receive whole dog journal and one of their issues was dedicated to dog food. They test the ingredients, how the dogs performed on it, weight gain or loss, ect., well surprisingly only two brands you can buy at petsmart were on the list (not including the vet brands that some sell) Blue Buffalo and Royal Canin. Neither of which were on the recall list. I'm glad both my dogs were switched to Blue Buffalo a few months ago.

I'd definately go the home made route if I could, but I don't even have time to cook for myself, let alone them.:S
Fly it like you stole it!

Looks like they found out what was wrong with the food. Rat poison!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260644,00.html

Yea, I heard the whole Situations Fucked up! How does someone victimize innocent animals like that? >:(
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

Looks like they found out what was wrong with the food. Rat poison!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260644,00.html

Yea, I heard the whole Situations Fucked up! How does someone victimize innocent animals like that? >:(

Well I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally. That said the wheat glueten was imported from China. This is something people should think about when they are buying imported food.

It surprises me that this happened because any time I have shipped grain to a pet food company they have had much stricter standards than any human food or cattle feed company.