UKKid35

Scuba before Jumping

I would have been embarrassed - I'm serious, I really do mean that

Seriously you need to get past that. Consider the things that can hurt you or others first and worry about the embarrassment afterwards.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

The main purpose of my original post was to alert inexperienced jumpers like myself to the potential consequences of combining jumping with other activities.

The excitement of being offered a jump at the end of the day at a dz where it was difficult to get more than two lifts per day meant I acted without thinking. I hadn't intended to jump that evening, but found myself on the lift all the same.

The best advice I've seen in this thread is to keep other people informed, so they have some chance to keep you from hurting yourself, and I will be acting on that in future.

My intent, although appearing to be negative was merely to point out the dangers. (Watch 1,000 Ways to Die.) Being a skydiver long before a scubadiver I knew the consequences of flying after diving. Heck DCS freaks me out so much that I won't even drive over the hills to get back home. I truly hope you have no further injuries from that episode.

You made a statement. You asked if it was a smart decision, then some posted not so pleasant opinions. What did you expect? In our sport stupidity kills!

I teach the FJC on a regular basis and always ask the students if they have made a scuba dive in the last 24 hours. That, and any other physical injuries, past or present. You'd be surprised to learn what they often omit on the DZ waivers.

I would have been embarrassed - I'm serious, I really do mean that

I'm not at all surprised by that part of your response, I kinda expected it, hence my comment about overcoming your inhibitions. It's one of those situations where social stigma / conformance / manners can get you injured. Not wanting to make a fuss on a load etc. when its your life at stake, it's bizarre with hindsight but in the moment there's a barrier to overcome. We humans are strange animals.

I'm glad you were OK.