Tornolf

Canopy Odor

I have a canopy which basically smells like wet dog. I'm guessing it's because it often gets packed soaking wet or stashed in a stashbag for hours at a time before it gets hung up. I've tried hanging it up but it doesn't seem to be working to well, though it might be because every other day or so it gets jumped and dew-soaked all over again.

I read another thread that suggested hanging it up and possibly Febreeze, but I'd rather not spray chemicals on it unless people are 100% sure it will not effect the integrity since it's a BASE canopy. Obviously it's F1-11 since it's BASE, if that makes any difference for my options.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I know the smell pretty well. Its me. Well me or any sweaty mofo who packs it. May be you, may be your packer or it maybe someone making sweet sweet sweaty hog love on it. Anyway it smells like a wet dog a.k.a. gymbag.

I suggest airing it out.... from about 13000' repeatedly. Stop sweating too

I flat pack it with clamps, so unless my container sweats on the canopy that isn't it :)I was hoping I could do something other than skydive it. It's either a lot of hassle or I have to pack in canopy into a paper bag to jump it from a plane.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Pack it up with a minimum of 7 fabric softener dryer sheets scattered about the canopy. <== I've done this after a dog found my canopy next to a tree. Luckily it was my ghetto gear. I dried it by kiting it, then packed a bunch of dryer sheets into it. It helped quite a bit.

A touch of Febreeze won't hurt anything either. Nylon is tough stuff so, unless the Febreeze is acid based, it will be fine.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Aren't dryer sheets also called fabric softeners and aren't fabric softeners acid based?

I'm not positive about this, or if it would even harm nylon for that matter. I was told this by a car show car guy who would never wash his car washing/drying towels with fabric softeners because they softened fabrics with acid and he didn't want the acid to transfer to his paint finish.

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK