Gawain

What is it About Birds...

...that they like to fly in front of your car when you're shooting down a country highway in the early morning hours?

Driving along, no one in sight, in the early dawn hours, you see a bird or two fly in front of your car. Sometimes from the side of the road, sometimes off a nearby tree.

I think it's a game to them.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Used to have a lot of fun with that. I worked at the beach for a while and whenever I had to take the ATV down there the Sanderlings (small beach bird that hangs out in the surf) would run up from the surf in front of me and run as fast as they could and eventually take off and fly in front of me right up until I was about to hit them and then they would peel off. They would come running over from as far as 20 feet away or so to get in front of the ATV while I was driving. I always thought it was so cool that it really must have been a game to them, or maybe the ones that did it were the thrill seakers of the bunch!
Killing threads since 2004.

...that they like to fly in front of your car when you're shooting down a country highway in the early morning hours?

Driving along, no one in sight, in the early dawn hours, you see a bird or two fly in front of your car. Sometimes from the side of the road, sometimes off a nearby tree.

I think it's a game to them.

I see birds do that all the time and it don't matter what time of day they do it. Sometimes they get lucky, sometimes they don't. >:(

I'll never forget that early morning before dawn when I had to go to work at 5 am to open up a Taco Bell restaurant, back when they were still serving breakfast. I was running a little late, and was speeding down a neighborhood street. I mean who the heck would be out there that early? Well, at the very last second I saw a group of doves or pigeons sitting in the road in my headlights. They attempted to fly off. I felt THUNKATHUNKATHUNK across the front end. I didn't bother to stop, just muttered "stupid goddamn birds" and went on to work.

When my shift was over, I decided to go back home the same way and look for anything in the area I hit those birds. Yup, found 3 or 4 mostly flattened pigeons in the middle of the road... You know the saying, "kill two birds with one stone"? I'll be damned if I killed 3 or 4 with a car in one shot! :S:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...to open up a Taco Bell restaurant, back when they were still serving breakfast.

Damn, I don't remember Taco Bell serving breakfast. I can't believe I missed it!

They stopped serving breakfast not long after I quit. Probably in 1992 or 1993. I loved their breakfast burritos. [:/] Scrambled eggs, cheese bacon or sausage, were scrumptious!

I make my own at home from time to time. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...to open up a Taco Bell restaurant, back when they were still serving breakfast.

Damn, I don't remember Taco Bell serving breakfast. I can't believe I missed it!

They stopped serving breakfast not long after I quit. Probably in 1992 or 1993. I loved their breakfast burritos. [:/] Scrambled eggs, cheese bacon or sausage, were scrumptious!

Did they serve kitten fingers?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Did they serve kitten fingers?

Not that I know of, but I remember opening a bag of ground beef and finding some weird animal part in there. I showed the manager and he got on the phone with the supplier and chewed them out. :S

Mmmm...breakfast burritos. I'm always excited when my day's work takes me past a local store that has some crazy good breakfast burritos.

Mmmm...breakfast burritos. I'm always excited when my day's work takes me past a local store that has some crazy good breakfast burritos.

Holy Sh*t Batman!! From birds to burritos in 8 posts...my threads have no staying power! :S:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

[replyHoly Sh*t Batman!! From birds to burritos in 8 posts...my threads have no staying power! :S:D

Uh...damn, you should have seen the birds that flew in front of my car when I left my breakfast burrito place yesterday! :P

I'll never forget that early morning before dawn when I had to go to work at 5 am to open up a Taco Bell restaurant, back when they were still serving breakfast. I was running a little late, and was speeding down a neighborhood street. I mean who the heck would be out there that early? Well, at the very last second I saw a group of doves or pigeons sitting in the road in my headlights. They attempted to fly off. I felt THUNKATHUNKATHUNK across the front end. I didn't bother to stop, just muttered "stupid goddamn birds" and went on to work.

I think that my bird hit record for a 12 hour period is well over 2 or 3 dozen. It was a late night blasting through southwestern New Mexico and they hadn't mowed the shoulders at all. It seemed like every few minutes a bird or 2 would fly out of the grass and right into the path of the car (rental). After the first 10 or 15, I stopped feeling guilty or keeping count.
--
Jason
--
Some people never go crazy. What truly boring lives they must lead.

Surfing the pressure wave off the front of your car?

I see birds do that all the time on the interstate, they really like the big bow wave from semi trailers.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I think that my bird hit record for a 12 hour period is well over 2 or 3 dozen. It was a late night blasting through southwestern New Mexico and they hadn't mowed the shoulders at all. It seemed like every few minutes a bird or 2 would fly out of the grass and right into the path of the car (rental). After the first 10 or 15, I stopped feeling guilty or keeping count.

Did you have to hose off your front end at the next stop?? :D:D:D