Anvilbrother

How good is the Dell XPSM1710

I am looking to get a dell gaming labtop to have at work.
I have a gateway with 64 mb of SHARED video memory, and it is not cutting it anymore. Here are the specs from the one I want from dell. Anyone know of anything better for the same price range of $3000-3700?

Price $3600ish W/tax
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7600 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
80GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I bought an XPS Gen-2 laptop in May 05. Only thing I really upgraded was the drive, 7200-RPM 60-gig over whatever was standard. She has a 2Ghz Pentium-M, 1 Gig of memory (x 2 DIMM), 256MB Nvidia.

She's running a bit slow nowadays, but that happens when you run the same WinXP-Home install for 2 years. The faster hard-drive's totally worth it B|. All in all, I'm still quite happy with my purchase.

I custom-ordered mine through AAFES, think I paid about $1800.

I got a new battery a few months ago as part of Dell's mass battery recall. With this thing's hunger for power, the original battery was pretty well toasted after 16 months.

ETA: The battery was the other thing I upgraded. With the extra capacity battery, mine lasts about 2 hours. Original battery was down to 30 minutes last I used it, and the new one's down to 90 minutes after 8 months.

dell is definetly the best out there. I personally woulnt buy anything else. My family has owned 6 dell computers over the past 10 years and all of them are as good as the day we bought them. I personally have a the xps m1210, so i can vouch for you that xps is a powerful system. I originally wanted the m1710, but after i thought about it i realized that there really is no reason for a 17" laptop. Laptops are made to be portable. You dont want to sit on a plane with a 17" laptop in front of you trust me. The smaller, the better in this case. However if your just going to leave it at home most of the time on a desk or somthing, then get a desktop not a laptop. I love my m1210. Beautiful screen, awesome resolution (i personally think they could have made it higher, im still young and my eyes are good enough for it) but i cant complain. I wouldnt trade it for anything else. Just my opinion.

My system:

xps m1210

intel core 2 duo 2.00ghz
2gm ram
nvidia gforce go 7400
80GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
cd/dvd burner (DVD+/-RW)
tons of software

$+,- $1700

As you can see, thats about the same as what you planned out, and also about half the price. M1210 all the way. (you could bump it up to the 2.33ghz for a total of about $2100)