stimpy4242

Gear suggestions for big rig

Fillin your profile for better luck getting answers. I can help if I know more about the situation.

Stimpy,

This is the guy to talk to. He has been there, done that and has the T-shirt. He has done all the ground work and he is now where you want to be.:)
No Shit! And like the man said, fill in your profile.;)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I would be curious on what "stock" componets he could use to go thru AFF. Last time I checked the highest tso for weight was TSO-23D (300lbs), and i dont know of any "stock" reserves rated to 320+ without going specialized or tandem, and as for mains your in the same boat.
"GOT LEAD?"

I would be curious on what "stock" componets he could use to go thru AFF. Last time I checked the highest tso for weight was TSO-23D (300lbs), and i dont know of any "stock" reserves rated to 320+ without going specialized or tandem, and as for mains your in the same boat.

Contrary to popular belief, TSO23D does not end at 300 lbs. It's just that the cost of certifying to a higher weight is usually not justifiable based on the small number of ultra-anvils who might purchase the gear.

As for getting a rig together with stockcomponents:
Start with a container that's TSO'd under 23B which has an "unlimited" weight limit and then go for an 23D reserve rated above 300 lbs. You get a real bonus here as the on the shelf rigs which will hold that big of a reserve are almost always configured as student rigs which would mean getting them ready for AFF would be a relatively simple undertaking.

Finally, looking at mains, you're choices are admittedly limited. I think Icarus will upsize their student 7 cell above 300 sf. Plus you have MT-1's and Firebolt 350's. I know I can shoehorn in a MT-1 into my RTS M-8, so an M10 should have no problems accomodating one.

My personal setup is a RTS m-8, Safire II 269 and a R-Max 288. Granted the Safire II is a little small for a big student but otherwise the setup is solid for a beginner.

Another option if you want to buy new is to look at Jump Shack. IIRC, the Racer is a 23 B rig, and their Angel Fire 300 reserve is rated to 330 lbs. Stick a Firebolt 350 or 396 in there and you have one stop shopping and probably a discount for purchasing it all from one manufactuer.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Contrary to popular belief, TSO23D does not end at 300 lbs. It's just that the cost of certifying to a higher weight is usually not justifiable based on the small number of ultra-anvils who might purchase the gear.

Ok, and where does it end? I will admit Jump Shack has some interesting products for "ultra anvils" as you call them. As for Icarus, good luck with them making anything that big and secondly would you like to see the pic of the "custom 320 main" I jumped once and never again? I am here to help but this is not a sport to take bigger risks than are involved already. I for one have a reserve rated to 444lbs and I will be praying when the time comes to use it at terminal. Do I think it will handle it, of course but guys our whether we want to admit it or not add about double the risk already. This is my opinion, and i believe it.
I have talked to this individual and his exit weight is actually pushing 350lbs. Hell I would have a AngelFrie in my rig if it suited my needs.
"GOT LEAD?"

Ok, and where does it end?

Hey Bro, what it is.

It can go as high as the manufacture wants to take it, both with weight and speed. But is must be no less than 264 lb. and 180 KEAS for sport rigs and 480 lb. and 210 KEAS for tandem rigs.

SAE AS8015 Revision B

4.3.4 (Continued):

a. Test weight = Maximum operating weight limit x 1.2

b. Test speed = Maximum operating speed limit x 1.2

However, test weight must be not less than 264 lb (119.7 kg) and the test speed must be not less than 180 KEAS (333.4 km/h) for reserve and emergency parachute assemblies; for dual harness parachute assemblies for test weight must not be less than 480 lb (217.7 kg) and the test speed must not be less than 210 KEAS (388.9 km/h).

TSO-23b is not unlimited. It has 2 categories, Standard and Low Speed. The Standard category is tested using a combination of weight and speed to produce a shock load of at least 5,000 lb. The Low Speed category is tested with weight and speed to produce a shock load of at least 3,000 lb. But it is not certified for use in aircraft above 150 MPH

See Attachments: NAS-804

Sounds like an MC-4 or MT-1XX is what he needs. Very reasonably priced and large enough for his needs. A large amount of screwing around (and dollars) if he needs an AAD, however.

Atsaubrey went through AFF with a MT-1XX. But they are a hassle with some DZ's. They are not TSO'd but made under a military specification number. Sometimes it is a real pain in the ass trying to explain the difference to someone who has never heard of it.

I will admit Jump Shack has some interesting products for "ultra anvils" as you call them.

Dude, my exit weight is very, very near the R-Max 288's max weight. So when I say ultra anvil it is not a case of "them" but rather "us". :)
-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I'm not here to start any fights....hell that is the last thing anyone wants to hear. I do remember being in the same situation as this guy and asking the same questions and getting the same answers. I remember my hopes high after someone posting something only to be shot down shortly after. Long story short with a 350lbs exit weight we have some issues to work thru but I do have the equipment for him if I dish out some dollars to put my old rig back into service (I won't let anyone use my new rig:P)
"GOT LEAD?"

I am not talking about a MT but i do have a scaled down Vector II tandem. I could use a new MT-1 canopy though. I have a Mighty Mak 335 reserve and was think a MT-1 main is about perfect for the big fella. The only things I need to get to get it back in the air is a Cypres/Main. With the requests I am getting to use it it is time to invest some money back into it.
"GOT LEAD?"

Let me dig through my gear closet. I can't remember if I used the main or reserve when I went BASE jumping. If I took the main instead of the reserve, then I have an MT-1 with very few jumps that I'd be willing to part with cheaply if it was going to help get another anvil brother into the air.

-Blind