everymansaved

170 in a J5?

Hey all. I have a javelin J5, and it's got a triathlon 190 in it right now, which is working out well. I'm thinking about going down to a 170 for next season, something like a pilot or a safire, but the sunpath website only says "up to 230 sq. ft." for the j5. It seems like I could just shorten the closing loop and it would be fine. Can I get some rigger's opinions?
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

The jump number isn't completely up to date, and I've been talking in length to the coaches and instructors at my DZ, and we're all really comfortable with this, especially since it's not going to be until next year.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

and we're all really comfortable with this

Run this statement through search and see how many hits you get. It goes along with, "I can handle it" and "I know what I am doing".

I wish you luck and try to be careful.:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I definitely will. I'm not really the type to do anything too rash. Personally, I don't see a problem with it if it's being OK'd by coaches and instructors with '00s or '000s of jumps that have watched me fly and land.

Yeah, that's what I'm kind of worried about. Anyone else with opinions?

Since you asked, here are several more considerations:

1) A 9-cell will pack bigger than a 7-cell of similar square-foot size. I've packed a 190 7-cell that seemed only slightly bigger than a 175 9-cell. Square to eliptical may make a difference also. Different mfrs' published pack volume may not always be an accurate comparison.

2) Anytime you change the length of your closing loop, make sure you have a tight enough pack that you won't be at risk for premature deployment.

3) Puckering flaps from a loose main fit may be more that just a cosmetic problem. If the container is not filled out, you may compromise the security of your main deployment system. Throw-out bridle can hang out between pin & PC pouch or pull-out pud can come loose from velcro if pack is too loose.

4) The more you mismatch your main & reserve size (& performance envelope), the less stabile your flight will be during a dual deployment.

BTW, since you didn't ask, I won't comment on your experience or choice of canopy size. However, that may be the most important question of all.