RALFFERS

In Your City...

I'm trying to imagine how it is in other cities in terms of the insurance industry. Here in Chicago, I swear, there's am insurance office on every corner, and no, I'm not kidding. Hell, just between my house and my office a whopping 1.4 miles) there are 4-5 other insurance agencies-1 of them brand spanking new. It is very difficult, if not impossible to make a career here when you're a newbie in the business. I realize it takes time and am not giving up yet, but my company doesn't care; all they want is results at the end of the month. To a certain extent, I understand, after all, business is business. At the same time, I'm busting my ass, doing all and anything I can to make an honest living with no results thus far

I honestly don't get it, anybody I know tells me I'm a "natural" at talking with people. While that is news to me, I do genuinely enjoy being around people-helping is just a nice perk.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how it is in other cities. If the market is not over saturated with as many offices as McDonald s or Burger king I'm moving.....It doesn't matter how far. I've thought about going back to school to finish my criminology degree, but think am simply to old to be going back to school. I need money to live-now.

I have never been more stressed and scared in my life. Stress I can handle; fear of being a failure, despite all efforts, and thus ending up on the street is not my idea of a good time.

Ok, I'm done bitching now....sorry.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Did that for 9 months; Life & Health and Property & Casualty in Indiana.

The story I got when interviewing for the job: "We're a full lines insurance company, and can sell a customer every kind of personal and/or business insurance he may need."

The story I got after I was hired: "Push that life insurance! Push that life insurance! Push that life insurance! We don't give a damn about anything else; The other types of insurance are just bait to get the customer in the door. Do and/or say whatever it takes to sell them! It doesn't matter if they need it or not, or if they can even afford it. Don't worry about misrepresenting the product. Just push that life insurance!"

I finally just got so fed up one day that I just walked out. I learned that I really had more ethics than I realized.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I haven't had that experience, but certainly see it happening. If things continue to go this way I'd love to do something else, the question is what? Because of a minor disability I can't do much physical labor. I'm not about to lie and cheat people, no matter what.

If anyone needs me, I'll be at the nearest bar...

It's a tough gig Ralph...I've known more than a few friends that tried it and cut & ran.

You trying to sell and intangible product, in today's society a hard road to be sure.

Aren't you glad you didn't 'open your own' shop like you were thinking about? ;)

You seem like a friendly enough guy, sales just might be your thing, but at your age and experience you may want to try to sell a product that of a solid and physical nature...like cars or houses.

Both high dollar, reasonable commission products, and you don't need to convince someone they 'need' it.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Aren't you glad you didn't 'open your own' shop like you were thinking about? [Wink]

Oh, I'm more than glad brother...I'm greatful.

I knew it wasn't gonna be easy, but damn man, its hell. It be 1 thing if I wasn't trying, but as it stands I'm doing anything I can while still keeping to fair business practices. I really wish I would have listened to all the talks I got about finishing school..............a day late and a dollar short [:/]

Maybe you're right though, maybe I should start selling cars. Although I have a lot to learn; I don't know much about cars.

...maybe I should start selling cars. Although I have a lot to learn; I don't know much about cars.

Then you're PERFECT! B|

(Last few I bought, salesman didn't know squat either!)
;)

maybe he just spoke a different grunt dialect... i mean... what's there to know about the flinstones car?:ph34r:
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I live in the land of shopping plazas. On the plus side, I can get everything I need within 2 miles of my house. On the downside, it sure is damn ugly. Would it kill them to leave a few more trees when they mowed down the nieghborhood? :S

There are a lot of industries where you could deal with people other than insurance. I'm sure there is some kind of online test that could give you more results of occupations you haven't thought of.

The housing industry is a good one but the market might be saturated with salespeople who joined when business was good and are now struggling. The same with the Mortgage business. The housing industry will turn around though, it always does. Maybe it's something to look into.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon